Intergrating Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sunnychooks, Jul 7, 2011.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    How do you intergrate new Coturnix into a flock? Is it the same as chickens where you need to let them see each other for a while? I would like to switch around my breeding trios or maybe add one additional female for a 4-to-one ratio.
    Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!

2. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    new females i just add to group when occupied feeding at that time, but males need to all be taken to seperate cage and kept till they sleep all piled up for a while, then i put all males in with the females and the males dont fight (plus it gives my hens a break).

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Starting with a new different pen. One that is new to all birds helps. Throwing anything else that is different at them may help as well. Sometimes, no matter what you do....some birds just don't get along. It happens, but the unruly taste great (Pan fried). [​IMG]

The best way to mix coturnix is to hatch, brood and grow them out together! IMHO! [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm interested in adding to my existing coturnix. I'm gonna hatch some more & let them get the same size & then transfer them in with the others. Yea or nae. I have sold most of my stock so I'm just filling the pen back up.

5. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    i have raised thousands of coturnix and have only had 3 or 4 that dident get along with each other. young or old i like changing pens when adding birds. i like 20 hens to 5 roosters in my colony's. i either sort a growing pen or build from scratch. first i pick the henns then roosters. and chuck them all in together. they get along very well. i just came back to poultry. and im starting my flocks all over again. i have 3 breads of quail im working on. ill be happy once i get the new quail stock up and running.

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Well, you are either the luckiest person on the planet, or you are lying!

Only 3 or 4 out of thousands.....REALLY? Really?

I'm going to call you "LUCKY!"....only 3-4 out of thousands.....Lucky at best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by