Interior coop design: Corner vs Linear roosting bars

EB12E09F-4D4E-41DA-9463-79BC3F6FCD33.jpeg
So this picture looks like a narrower coop than what you are building? I might suggest, if you have room, to place the door not right up against that left wall. Then you could have roosts going along both walls, with a walking aisle in between them. 10 feet ought to give you enough room for that, and still allow for the bank of nest boxes that’s next to the door.

I also will point out, that your storage side of the shed will get just as dusty as the chicken side. So don’t plan to store anything in there that you need to keep clean. Actually, it will get even more dusty, since it won’t have chickens flapping around blowing the dust off of stuff and onto the floor. The dust will happen even if you have a solid wall. You would have to seal it all the way up to the rafters to keep the dust out.

Your plan looks similar to my plan. I don’t have photos on my phone any more, but I can look up a link to my coop thread.
Here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-pinterest-project-shed-build.1092172/post-20072029

Last edited:
The problem with your wire dividing wall is that chicken dust will completely coat everything that you have stored in the non-chicken half of the shed. :)
Other half will be my gardening shed. So no worries about dust. I've had horses, goats, and pigs before. Not afraid of dust/dirt lol. I plan on doing sand for the floor on top of lineoleum for easy cleaning. Sound okay?

My current coop is a mini one from the co-op out here. I built a platform that it sits on. It's currently bedded with pine shavings. But I know that in itself will contribute to dust.

Approximate size is going to be 10x16 (again, split into sides)
So coop will be 10 x 8?
Make roof overhangs larger than shown, for open soffit ventilation.
Might want more windows too.

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @Rc_Rosealetta
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600284199650.png

I plan on doing sand for the floor on top of lineoleum for easy cleaning. Sound okay?
Maybe, not a sand fan.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

So coop will be 10 x 8?
Make roof overhangs larger than shown, for open soffit ventilation.
Might want more windows too.

Oh, and...... Welcome to BYC! @Rc_Rosealetta
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2336475
I will have matching windows on both long walls (#4 total/2 on each side probably 27"x36" each), multiple gable vents on the ends up near roof line. On short wall in storage area, was hoping to place a 36"x36" window as well.

The minimum area for the coop would be 10x8, but most likely 10x10 as I'd rather the hens have the space vs me. On the wall that will let out to the run (10x25') I was going to do a transom window up higher, but have considered additional window as well.

Because you will be dividing the shed, you have another option to get lots of ventilation without it blowing directly on the birds: put great big openings in the not-bird part.

For example, you could have windows or even a door covered with hardware cloth on each side, so air can go right through the gardening area. That could move a lot of air but without blowing directly on the birds in wintertime. And in summer, as someone already pointed out, the birds might prefer to have air blowing across the roosts.

Personally I'd probably put the roosts straight across from the wire wall in that photo, so they're running across back wall. I don't know how many birds you're planning on getting, so that would dictate how much roost you'd need. Assume roughly 12" per bird.

Depending on the amount of chickens. I put in corner roosts and loved them. But got more chickens and needed more roosts

Back
Top Bottom