Intermixing Breeds?????

theghostandmrchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Question for a semi-new person.

Would a Rooster go and try to repopulate out of his breed?
and if he did would you get different breeds or would something else happen?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Yes, roosters will mate with any breed that is physically possible, in my experience!

the resulting offspring will be mutts, of sorts, but often produce a desired result. A cross of an Ameraucana and a dark colored egg layer often gives you offspring that lays olive- colored eggs. It is fun to experiment, but there is also something to be said for preserving and improving a breed, or trying to maintain the breed standard, especially for rare or endangered breeds.

Oh yeah! Roos are not particular about WHO they breed. And you come up with mutts usually
smile.png
I had a Black Polish Crested Roo that bred with Black Australorps, Silver Laced Wyandottes, RIRs & EEs. Came up with some very interesting mutts, most of which were black & had a "foo-foo" as I call it (half crest, half comb). The only way to guarantee the bloodline is to pen them in together exclusively & collect the eggs to hatch.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

I like cross breeds. Like I had a Naked Neck rooster and I had with him australorps, another Naked Neck , a black copper maran hen. a golden comet hen. White leghorns. Got some interesting chicks from them some didn't look like NN's but others did and they had their dad's necktie bow
smile.png

Right now I have light brahmas and with the rooster I have easter egger hens .. I had my red brown partridge silkie hen with my mille fleur d'uccle rooster and have chicks from that cross.

Back
Top Bottom