1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Internal broken soft shell egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Saris, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
  2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus w/crappy Inet Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Saris what makes you think she has an infection? is she acting funny droopy or does her vent smell like its bacteria ridden? Do you have Kats page for giving her a health check up? and Kat will like images I am sure

3. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
  4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    If she has an infection, I think something like Baytril would be better.

-Kathy

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus w/crappy Inet Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I was just going to say that is Kats go to drug! lol

6. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Besides the Tylan I have Denagard and OxyTetracycline.

She needs cleaned a bit, i will keep her warm

She had a mostly laid broken soft shelled egg hanging from her vent, I had to pull about an inch of the soft shell part out of her to dislodge it. It must've been very recently "laid" as he vent was still doing the "inside out" thing when I pulled it out. her vent returned to normal so it wasn't a prolapse. The next day she still had a creamy thin liquidy white substance on her vent feathers and her comb was a tad droopy. Today (3 days from the broken softshell) she is noticabley paler in the comb and she still hasn't laid and I found her standing with her neck tucked in and feathers fluffed up. When I'm where she can see me she perks up, but when she can't she me she just fluffs up and stands in the same spot.
    I have no Baytril, and I've exceeded my poultry spending funds. I need to treat her with what I have or cull her.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  7. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I think the Denagard could be used to treat a repro tract infection, but I'm not sure... Google tiamulin and E. coli, and tiamulin and pseudomonas. Oxytetracyline probably won't work.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Colibacillosis responds in varying degrees to antibiotic treatment with tetracyclines and sulfa drugs. Treatment should last a minimum of five days before evaluating improvement in symptoms.

I found that suggestion, and I have both of those types of drugs available.....

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/colibacillosis-in-chickens-2/

9. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Now I'm thinking it may be a symptom of something else.....I went to snag a pic of Fluffy B and noticed 2 of my wyandottes have faded combs, my OE is just sitting on the ground a bit ruffled and sleepy looking and my sex link just had diarrhea in front of me.

Fluffy B
    [​IMG]

Her vent feathers
    [​IMG]

SLW with faded comb (she has already finished her molt so it's not from that)
    [​IMG]

OE napping

[​IMG]

Multiple chickens laying down, in the back fluffy B has her head tucked under her wing.
    She may be sacrificed for a necropsy at this point....
    [​IMG]

10. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Or I'm being paranoid and they have heat stress..... Ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by