Internal lice?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I treated Carol of lice BUT they’re hiding in her eyes whenever I try to get them… is there anything I can put in her eyes to kill them without hurting her? I don’t know if she will survive but I want to try. I keep finding her on her back because of her paralyzed leg, she also seems to occasionally have respiratory issues.

The only chicken remedies I have right now is VetRX, probiotic supplement and homeopathic remedies

Update: she was just put down, but if anyone has issues with lice in eyes or just lice people had good ideas.
E74CA08D-6169-46BD-823F-D2B382E0DD46.jpeg

This one was just too far gone

Last edited:
Vet rx is not a treatment for anything, you're going to need permrethrine poultry dust or spray. Clean out the coop completely, use the permrethrine on everything, put entirely new bedding in and spray/dust your chickens.
Vetrx i heard helped a physically injured rooster but I figured it would help in this case, just wanted to check. I used that already, she’s been inside too. They’re hiding from the permrethrine in hers eyes, I can’t put it in her eyes so it can’t get to them

Vetrx i heard helped a physically injured rooster but I figured it would help in this case, just wanted to check. I used that already, she’s been inside too. They’re hiding from the permrethrine in hers eyes, I can’t put it in her eyes so it can’t get to them
VET rx is just Vicks rub for chickens, it doesn't do a thing for healing. What exactly is that picture of? I can't tell. You could try to smother them with olive oil.

VET rx is just Vicks rub for chickens, it doesn't do a thing for healing. What exactly is that picture of? I can't tell. You could try to smother them with olive oil.
It’s her eye, it’s started bleeding if I keep opening it back up, somehow the lice built something over it.

I think I’m going to just put her down, she’s had too many health issues and I don’t think a full recovery will happen in her state

Can you soak her eye with a warm washcloth and gently wipe away the crust/gunk?

If you can get to a feed store tomorrow I'd treat her with ivermectin before deciding to cull. It's should take care of all the mites so you can then assess her other health issues. But I understand she (and you) have been dealing with a lot and she might just be suffering needlessly at this point.

They have pour Ivermectin. Use a dropper about 5 to 6 drops no the neck. Make sure it makes skin contact.
That sounds like that might be too much for a silkie...

Dosage of ivermectin is .4mg per kg. Different brands have different amounts of ivermectin per ml, but the one I have is 5mg per ml so I only use 2 or 3 drops for my bantams.

Can you soak her eye with a warm washcloth and gently wipe away the crust/gunk?

If you can get to a feed store tomorrow I'd treat her with ivermectin before deciding to cull. It's should take care of all the mites so you can then assess her other health issues. But I understand she (and you) have been dealing with a lot and she might just be suffering needlessly at this point.

@WonkierZulu

It’s not just a mite issue at this point, her paralyzed leg has gotten worse to the point where I am helping her off her back multiple times a day and she has trouble breathing again. I have cleaned the gunk off many times but it just comes back, it’s crusted on like a scab and she’s starting to bleed whenever I take it off

Honestly I would try the ivermectin route. If she is already paralyzed she might not make it but ivermectin is just a good thing to have for the future. She might be to far gone. Give her some vitamins vitamin e I hear works sometimes for paralysis. I've had chickens that would become gimp like yours I would quartine them give the a bunch of stuff for them to get worse. I would have to cull or when they seemed to be making a turn for the better they just died. Sometimes it's easier to cull them and keeps them for experiencing anymore unessary discomfort. Part of owing poultry I guess.

Back
Top Bottom