Internal pip 24 hours ago no movement

Watson123

Hatching
Mar 24, 2018
Hi
I’m very new to this but we have a single quail egg which my daughter inherited (?) and because I had a access to an incubator I let her try and hatch it.
This evening at 7 will be day 19 (assuming day 0 when it went in)
Yesterday morning she candled it without moving it (not that it should be disturbed during lockdown but she needed to add water)And realised it was pipped internally!
The egg hasn’t moved or made a sound.
I’m thinking it’s probably dead...we knew nothing about humidity levels when we started and no way of knowing what they were for the first week but since then we had them at about 50% and now at about 68%
She wants to make a hole is she right?
How long can a quail chick live in the air sac?
Thanks

They can sit like that for quite some time. I wouldn't worry yet. Quail like to coordinate their hatch so it's probably wondering where it's siblings are. If it hasn't externally pipped you can carefully candle again to make sure the baby is still moving. I've incubated quail on permanent high humidity because I'm so bad about staggered hatching and they've been absolutely fine.

Quail are very social and you really need to find some more chicks to keep it company. It will cry constantly if it's on its own (I've had an early hatcher and it was rough until a friend hatched). They need to be taught to eat and drink - just peck at the food and water like a mama would.

Good luck!

It may well just be taking a rest in the egg. Your daughter might want to candle and see if there are any signs of life at all. In some cases you can actually see it's little heart beating through the egg! Giving a tap on the side of the incubator might encourage it (it mimics the hen tapping the egg).

Hope this hatch goes well :D

Back
Top Bottom