Internal pip to external pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HenchantedAcres, Feb 12, 2014.

1. HenchantedAcres

HenchantedAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my baby that I'm trying to save.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That baby looks ready to come out. Just have a look at it's navel area and make sure all the blood/yolk has been absorbed and if it's clear, you can let it come out of the shell.

3. HenchantedAcres

Nov 16, 2013
    Florida
    It's navel looks fine, but it still has some blood on his back where there is still a little shell and membrane. The chick was peeping and moving a lot this am. My main concern is shouldn't it's eyes be open because it's head/neck are freely moving, or do its eyes not open until it's completely free from the shell? I'm at work again and have instructed my wonderful hubby to keep checking him and dampening the membranes and paper towel. Thank you all for your help. This is the first time I have assisted a chick and only my second hatch.

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It will open it's eyes, don't worry. They sometimes keep their eyes shut until they're completely done hatching and some even for awhile afterwards. Ask your hubby to look and see if the navel is closed? Once that's done, you can let the little one complete the hatch.

5. HenchantedAcres

Nov 16, 2013
    Florida
    It still has blood on its under side. Won't it lose too much blood by finishing the hatch now?

6. HenchantedAcres

Nov 16, 2013
    Florida
    It's navel is completely closed, was last night even. Just looks dark under the skin.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If it's navel's closed and the membrane and umbilicus detached, it's not going to absorb any more blood and it can hatch. I look for active blood vessels at or near the navel, before I let a chick complete the hatch.

8. HenchantedAcres

Nov 16, 2013
    Florida
    So should we peel the rest of the shell and membrane off the baby chick now, or wait for him to finish on his own? Or will he be able to finish on his own? He is on day 23.5 days right now.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can remove just enough of the membrane to allow it to kick out by itself.

10. HenchantedAcres

Nov 16, 2013
    Florida
    Just talked to hubby. He removed the rest of the shell and said the chick opened one eye and closed it then got very motionless. He said he thinks it passed away. He said he can't see him breathing anymore. I am so upset with myself for waiting too long to help him. Maybe if I had started on day 21 he would have been strong enough to survive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by