Internally pipped but no external.

stm_96

Songster
Sep 27, 2018
I'm on day 23 with incubating chicken eggs, i had 3 left in the incubator that were showing no signs of hatching, no rocking, no peeping, no external pip today so i candled them and 2 were for sure dead, one was showing a lump inside the air cell and i could see movement but no beak like you'd usually see when they're internally pipped, the air cell is wonky and saddled shaped. Is that normal? Should i intervene? Or just leave it be? Really hoping it will hatch! Out of 4 eggs that made it all the way to lockdown, only 1 has hatched and it hatched right on time. My temp is 100 and my humidity is 73%.

Could you candle and post a picture?
I can't because I'm using my phone flashlight. 😔
Its saddle shaped and the lump on the air cell is pretty big but it was moving up and down like breathing motions? But i seen no beak at all just the big lump and when you shine the light directly on the egg, like the front of the egg, it shows air inside the egg? If that makes sense.

I'm wondering if it may be backwards in the egg, but that's hard to tell without seeing it.

You may need to assist. Here's an article I wrote that you can read:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Also, being that they are so late, I'm wondering, is your incubator still air or forced air? Have you verified the temperature with a thermometer you know to be accurate?
It was to late. Just candled again and seen no movement. :'(
I opened up the egg and it was dead, it was turned wrong, butt up to the air cell and head was curled toward the pointy end of the egg. Super disappointed, wish i would have done something earlier when i seen it moving, this has been a terrible hatch. I purchased 13 Isabel Orpington eggs, 6 were not fertile, 2 died the first week into incubation, 1 the 2nd week and 2 sometime after lockdown because they were alive and moving when they went into lockdown and now this one wasn't positioned correctly. So i have 1 little loner chick, I'm going tomorrow to my local feed store to get him/her some company. I'm so sad. Was super excited to have this breed. Ugh.......

It was to late. Just candled again and seen no movement. :'(
I opened up the egg and it was dead, it was turned wrong, butt up to the air cell and head was curled toward the pointy end of the egg. Super disappointed, wish i would have done something earlier when i seen it moving, this has been a terrible hatch. I purchased 13 Isabel Orpington eggs, 6 were not fertile, 2 died the first week into incubation, 1 the 2nd week and 2 sometime after lockdown because they were alive and moving when they went into lockdown and now this one wasn't positioned correctly. So i have 1 little loner chick, I'm going tomorrow to my local feed store to get him/her some company. I'm so sad. Was super excited to have this breed. Ugh.......

Very sorry :(

Perhaps we can troubleshoot what went wrong so if you want to try again it'll hopefully go better. What kind of incubator do you have?

Very sorry :(

Perhaps we can troubleshoot what went wrong so if you want to try again it'll hopefully go better. What kind of incubator do you have?
Thank y'all!
I have the little giant still air incubator, I've hatched out 1 other batch of chicks a year ago and had 100% hatch rate. After reading reviews about the temp and humidity being off, i decided with this batch being i paid for them and so badly wanted them to all hatch, i bought something seperate to check for humidity and temperature, the incubator itself was way off on temperature but the humidity was pretty accurate, it stayed at 99.5-100 temp and 50-55% humidity from day 1 to 18 and i got it up to 65-75% humidity for lockdown. I just don't know what could have went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom