International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Okay guys,
Im on page 1105. Im slowly getting caught up and taking notes as i go.

But....I have a question that needs to be resolved before i can go any further.

I am building my first serious fbcm foundation flock. I just hatched out 8 eggs from the pictured flock and want to know if this is a good group of parents to start with. They are not good pictures and the only ones i have. I dont own them. Just bought the eggs from them. Should i buy another dozen eggs to hatch?

To my beginner eye, they seem to have promise but i need your opinions please.

I tried to go from head to feet, type, top and bottom line on this rooster but am still not confident enough. Awful pictures.sorry.

View attachment 2139245View attachment 2139246View attachment 2139247View attachment 2139248

These marans are where i bought my eggs from. The pic of the chicks are not mine. It is these birds when they were chicks.

The eggs in the pic are the ones i hatched. They will be my foundation flock.
Okay guys,
Im on page 1105. Im slowly getting caught up and taking notes as i go.

But....I have a question that needs to be resolved before i can go any further.

I am building my first serious fbcm foundation flock. I just hatched out 8 eggs from the pictured flock and want to know if this is a good group of parents to start with. They are not good pictures and the only ones i have. I dont own them. Just bought the eggs from them. Should i buy another dozen eggs to hatch?

To my beginner eye, they seem to have promise but i need your opinions please.

I tried to go from head to feet, type, top and bottom line on this rooster but am still not confident enough. Awful pictures.sorry.

View attachment 2139245View attachment 2139246View attachment 2139247View attachment 2139248

This is what i first posted.

very good BCM .love all rooster and hen ,very good line ,well worked for sure .some body was doing they job properly ,
stunning and complete body pattern , copper uniform and rich ,
gorgeous eggs colour too .
i m impressed ,
if you can get more of these eggs ,go for it ,money well spent . you can start your own line from this flock .
group the eggs recording to they shape .size and color ,each hen lay different type of eggs . if you can get eggs from 3/4 hens ,mark they eggs and chicks hatched from them , when they mature you can work with them as half sibling , you will get good result . you don t want to add any thing to that line tell you have a large number and bred it for few years as pure .
good luck .

chooks man

This is what chooks man said.

The issue is, i had ordered 7 chicks from another breeder that arrived a day after this post. So now this line is mixed bcm breeders. 1 blcm cockerel and 1 blcm pullet included. Total = 15

I will call this line A.

I bought a dozen more eggs from the original breeder (the pics of the flock i posted) and they are in the incubator now day 4.

I will keep this hatch separated and not introduce any birds to it for a few years as chooks man suggests.

This will be line B.

Problem is, im going to run out of space!

Pics as soon as i get them.

Not easy taking pics and im not good at it.
I have a pair of blcm.

Im thinking to put my blue cockerel with the cclb and ee's.he is also the oldest of the bunch.

20200525_115051.jpg
20200525_095916.jpg

Pullet she is very timid.

20200525_095948.jpg
20200525_115347.jpg
20200525_114632.jpg
20200525_095923.jpg

Attachments

• 20200525_115348.jpg
    20200525_115348.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 3
We have no idea. I guess hormones kicked in. His name was Romeo because he was a lover. We tried working with him. I got to where I was scared to go in the pen because he was so mean. I just couldn't keep dreading going out in the pen everyday so it had to be done. Broke my heart. I am worried I can get super attached to them. I try not to! He better be a good one. I guess if I get too attached and end up not the best rooster he can go in a layer pen.

to tell you a truth .my cockerels pens are always my favorite pens , cockerels they come to great me and hung around me . they not always looking for a treat .
they are not allowed to flap they wings and look at me in
We sold the farm and moved.
The new owners wanted to keep the mixed flock so we let them.

Now starting over from scratch i plan to have bcm, blcm, cclb with a couple of easter eggers.

That will give me dark brown, blue and olive eggs.

My focus will be the bcm and blcm. We love the look and general temperment of them.

Never had cclb before and will try them out. If we dont like them then i have no problem getting rid of them to make room for the marans.

We have very limited space and its on a steep hill. In the 5 months of living here in the mountains of SC, this is what we have set up as coops.

There are 3 so far with a 4th soon to be done. The 4th will be split in half to have 2 separate coop spaces with their own runs so i will have 5 coops total of various sizes.View attachment 2158959

View attachment 2158950View attachment 2158955View attachment 2158960
I do have a small mixed flock of 4 pol pullets with a light brahma cockerel taking up one coop. Should be getting eggs from them any day now.

They will supply eggs for us while the bcm, blcm and ccl chicks are growing out and wont be pol til late fall. The brahma is a giant. I would hate to cull him for more room later on but i will decide when the time comes.

A storm is coming is so prob wont be able to get chick pics right now but will as soon as i can.

I have read every page on this thread. It took a looong time but prepaired me and answered a lot of questions i had. Im so much the better for it.

Anyone new here who is seriously interested in breeding marans needs do the same.

impressive set up . well put together . great for breeding .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom