This is my boy. 16 weeks.

Attachments

• 20200525_123751.jpg
    20200525_123751.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200525_124414.jpg
    20200525_124414.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 5
Im assuming around 6 -7 months is when i start looking at my birds and deciding which ones to use as breeders and which ones to get rid of. Correct?

I wish the legbands would get here. It would be nice to band which ones came from eggs and which ones came from on- line breeder before their too old to accurately band....or does it matter if their all staying together as line A?
My oldest are 5 1/2 weeks old. I am culling already. One will go to freezer camp when old enough way too mossy. I will cull as I go but it will be at least 6 months or more to pick out the top contenders. I can't keep all of these till 6 months old. I wing band and use leg bands. For chicks I use colored rubber leg bands in different sizes.

My oldest are 5 1/2 weeks old. I am culling already. One will go to freezer camp when old enough way too mossy. I will cull as I go but it will be at least 6 months or more to pick out the top contenders. I can't keep all of these till 6 months old. I wing band and use leg bands. For chicks I use colored rubber leg bands in different sizes.

Taking into account everything i have read on this thread, i can safely cull the obvious high fan-tail birds then as i have read this indicates high tails later on. Yes?

At this point, starting out, i just keep the ones that wont take many generations to correct their faults (if thats even possible) even if it means keeping a small flock to begin with. Or am i delusional?

My OE flock will consist of EEs and ccl with the nice blcm cockerel over them. I will take some cull bcm hens that lay the darkes eggs and put them in there. Makes a nice color variety in the egg carton for sale.

Of course this is only my PLAN for now.

Taking into account everything i have read on this thread, i can safely cull the obvious high fan-tail birds then as i have read this indicates high tails later on. Yes?

At this point, starting out, i just keep the ones that wont take many generations to correct their faults (if thats even possible) even if it means keeping a small flock to begin with. Or am i delusional?

My OE flock will consist of EEs and ccl with the nice blcm cockerel over them. I will take some cull bcm hens that lay the darkes eggs and put them in there. Makes a nice color variety in the egg carton for sale.

Of course this is only my PLAN for now.
I do not know if fan-tail means high tail later on. That is a question for Chooksman. I do know if the tail is a little high early on it's only going up from there. You only need a few good birds to work with. We all aim to improve each generation. Some things are just harder to work with.

I have a question. In general what age do maran hens start laying? I'm asking because i've noticed in the last week my 1 pullet Daisy's comb and face is starting to get red. She's 15 weeks old. I assume I've got several more weeks but just a few minutes ago I saw her willingly let my rooster toothless breed her. I've not separated them from him yet as i thought i've got at least a month and a half or longer before they started laying, and untill now they've for the most part kept to themselves.

Hello all! Pardon my absence. Life has been hectic. My old phone got busted and I am just now getting around to adding the BYC app on my new phone. I have a lot of catching up to do!! I saw that @RedBanks is back! I'm so glad. I have missed you all. I am behind on hatching Marans for this year and only have a handful of chicks so far. The birds just haven't cooperated.

Hope everyone is well!! :D

I have a question. In general what age do maran hens start laying? I'm asking because i've noticed in the last week my 1 pullet Daisy's comb and face is starting to get red. She's 15 weeks old. I assume I've got several more weeks but just a few minutes ago I saw her willingly let my rooster toothless breed her. I've not separated them from him yet as i thought i've got at least a month and a half or longer before they started laying, and untill now they've for the most part kept to themselves.

My Marans don't start laying until 6 months at the earliest. Their face will get beefy red and the comb and wattles will become larger and more developed as she nears point of lay. I would be shocked if she started laying so young but some production breeds of chickens can start laying as young as 16 weeks.

Hello all! Pardon my absence. Life has been hectic. My old phone got busted and I am just now getting around to adding the BYC app on my new phone. I have a lot of catching up to do!! I saw that @RedBanks is back! I'm so glad. I have missed you all. I am behind on hatching Marans for this year and only have a handful of chicks so far. The birds just haven't cooperated.

Hope everyone is well!! :D

welcome back . nice to hear you are fine .
still plenty of time to hatch few marans chicks , it is Summer in US now ?

chooksman

I do not know if fan-tail means high tail later on. That is a question for Chooksman. I do know if the tail is a little high early on it's only going up from there. You only need a few good birds to work with. We all aim to improve each generation. Some things are just harder to work with.

Fan tail and High tail are 2 different thing .some time they are combined in one chooks ,that is a nightmare .
High tail ,we talking about the Angle of tail compare to the horizontal ground .should not pass 45 Degree . 60 Degree is permitted but not desired .
Fan tail .we talking about the shape/form of the tail . we looking for tail full at the base and short .pointed end .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom