International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Took a few quick pics of my youngest grow outs while doing my chores.

This cockerel has poor quality copper but he has a wide tail from the rear and a nice top line. Im keeping my eye on him. He may still be useful despite his grandsire's hackle. Or we may end up eating him.

View attachment 2351916

This cockerel is young and still pretty much black but has nice type and topline for this age.

View attachment 2351917

A nice pullet (back) that looks like she will have good type and topline. Then there is the dark eyed cockerel with a halo in front of her. He is a cull. The lighter colored birds in the pen are Games.

View attachment 2351918
love they type ,chunky and long .lovely tail angle at this age .great head and legs .
I like the young cockerel better . gorgeous every thing for the moment ,just we have to wait for the copper to appear . hope is correct . who is a sire?
do no keep the golden hackle cockerels .you have to finish with this fault ,can t let it establish it self and become bred true fault ,than will be very hard to breed it out .

I m please for you ,you have paired Dark Angel with your hens .wishing you a great hatch .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Here is Broken Wing. He is all healed up and being his lovely self. So far he is my favorite. Lovely type and topline so far. Nice copper, clear eyes, and good comb.

View attachment 2352165
View attachment 2352166 u
oh yeah we are talking good now .he is sublime . he is your ticket out of the trouble .look after him like he is the only one in the farm .
I like him very much . Sire please?
you have done great ,quality is always greater than quantity .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Another cockerel I'm watching. He is younger than BW. Loving his type and top line so far. His copper is looking like it will be good and not too light.

View attachment 2352170 View attachment 2352176
he is good if his copper turn up correct because his thighs and rear are too fluffy . not good .we are looking for tight plumage and fluff .
love is body type and head . this guy really need time to grow more .they change so many time .one time they look good ,other time they look bad .back and forth till they are mature .
I do love the length of the back and tail set on your youngsters .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW

chickengr

Free Ranging
Dec 29, 2014
greece
I would have to mate her to either her clear eyed uncle (Dark Halo), or her clear eyed grandsire (Duke) to avoid a brother sister mating. Both those males have halos and poor quality copper color. Her sire is Dark Angel and he has marbled eye color so doubling up on a fault would yield a high volume of dark eyed offspring.

Something to ponder on if she grows out as nice as she looks now.

I think you can do brother/sister mating once without having problems. if there is a clear eyed cockerel? @Chooks man would it be ok?

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Too bad this pullet has dark eyes. She is lovely. Keeping my eye on her despite her eye color.

View attachment 2352186
never mind her dark eyes .she is all perfect for what we looking for .Every post on her is correct except her dark eyes .
stunning long body type .great great plumage type and color .lovely tail . lovely head / copper to die for .complete hackle marking .and I can keep going and going .

Stunning . BRAVO my dear friend .
she is too perfect .
Sire please ?

we are going to create a keeper pen .so far .
cockerels = broken wing
pullet= this one ,you better name her well ,because we are going to hear about her . Like Sheraz before her ..

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
I think you can do brother/sister mating once without having problems. if there is a clear eyed cockerel? @Chooks man would it be ok?
it is not the mating is a problem .the number of chicks hatched is a real factor .
because sibling carry almost a same genes . if they mated together ,most of genes will repeat them selves .
do no pair 2 chooks with a same faults regardless what they relation .
true sibling mating is a great tool to no what hidden genes are in your line before investing too much into it .

clear eyes cockerel will always yield high number of chicks with a good eyes .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Another dark eyed pullet. She is nearly solid black but she has a back for days!

View attachment 2352189
Best body type of them all . she is true brick type we are looking for . true marans body type .gorgeous long back and tail .

Keeper pen for sure . baby dark Angel that her name if you like .
I really like this pullet .
you see I will allow the fault on the girls but not the boys . because now you have 2 sires progeny .

chooks man

Top Bottom