International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

If anyone wants black copper marans I'm going to be hatching some. I'm in Northern Arkansas. Please message me for more info!

please do not breed your gorgeous BC pullets yet ,she need to be separated from the cockerels ,so she can keep growing to her full potential .
marans are slow maturing and if pullets are kept with cockerels ,that will stun they growth .

she need to reach 2.5kg minimum to mate her to cockerel . other wise she will never grow properly .
chooks man

please do not breed your gorgeous BC pullets yet ,she need to be separated from the cockerels ,so she can keep growing to her full potential .
marans are slow maturing and if pullets are kept with cockerels ,that will stun they growth .

she need to reach 2.5kg minimum to mate her to cockerel . other wise she will never grow properly .
chooks man
Well, I have no way or means to separate her from cockerels. I haven't ever done that or knew it was even a suggested thing to do. I have other Black Coppers she isn't the only one.

Well, I have no way or means to separate her from cockerels. I haven't ever done that or knew it was even a suggested thing to do. I have other Black Coppers she isn't the only one.

Ah good to know you have other BCM pullet .
for marans pullet to reach adult weight of 3kg she need all the energy she can get to make it . good practice we separate pullets from cockerels at 4 months of age . we give a pullets all time they need to reach the proper weight .
if you no space than it is hard to do ,

pullets deal with a lot stuff when they start laying ,they have to keep growing to reach they full weight ,plus they have to lay eggs , plus they have to make ink to color the eggs , we don t want to add the cockerel stress on a top of that .
10 month old ,pullets can be penned with cockerels . not before ,not fair on the pullets .

I m not telling you what to do with your chooks .I m just trying to help you understand how breeding marans work .

chooks man

for marans pullet to reach adult weight of 3kg she need all the energy she can get to make it . good practice we separate pullets from cockerels at 4 months of age . we give a pullets all time they need to reach the proper weight .

pullets deal with a lot stuff when they start laying ,they have to keep growing to reach they full weight ,plus they have to lay eggs , plus they have to make ink to color the eggs , we don t want to add the cockerel stress on a top of that .
10 month old ,pullets can be penned with cockerels . not before ,not fair on the pullets .

I m not telling you what to do with your chooks .I m just trying to help you understand how breeding marans work .

chooks man
Thank you! I wish I had the means to do it the right way but I sadly don't.

chooks man

This is very good advice, and does not only apply for the Marans breed.

I separate the cockerels from the pullets at an even earlier age, as the cockerels mature rather quickly starting to harass and chase the pullets starting at 5-6 weeks old, thus not leaving them time to eat and preen etc. as they will always be on the run to escape the unwanted and often violent attention.
My youngest cockerel started to crow and tried mating the mother hen and his siblings at the tender age of 5 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom