International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I'm wondering if him being late to color up is a good thing. He was broody raised by my game hen and hangs out a lot with his daddy. He's smart, and so far respectful. Not in your face friendly, but especially in the evenings before it's time to roost will come sit by me and enjoys a good chest rub before I place him on the roost. He also learned from his mom the trick of killing then eating baby snakes. In the past 2 weeks I've witnessed him catch 3 little ones and with a quick snap he's popped their heads off and down they go. Considering I despise snakes, that alone makes me want to hang onto him as long as he grows up respectful.
In my experience you are better off not making pets of your cockerels. The more you play with the now I think the worse they will be later. They will see you as part of the flock and try to control you because that is the job of a rooster. Keep your distance and pet your hens not the rooster. I think you will have a more respectful rooster down the road.

Here are a couple more pictures I took of Basil this afternoon. I'm not happy with most of them as he is sorta skeptical of the camera and spent most of his time trying to be directly under my feet.
View attachment 2697469View attachment 2697487View attachment 2697488View attachment 2697490View attachment 2697491View attachment 2697495View attachment 2697497View attachment 2697501View attachment 2697502View attachment 2697503

I like this guy a lot .gorgeous body type ,long back and stunning tail .his head and comb are perfect .
he has enough color coming along ,
he is special for sure .
chooks man

Black Mamba looking great after his 2nd molt .he is 33 months old . he is standing in the middle like a boss
DSC00919.JPG

he is on the right side .his son Raven on the left facing the camera
DSC00923.JPG

chooks man

Chooks Man have you weighed any of these Cocks they look huge in these pictures? TOM

yes my friend .
all 3 cocks weight more than 4.5 kg .
Father BM 4.7 Kg
Crow 4.63kg
Raven 4.57 kg

they are solid birds massive too . they sisters are huge hens too all 4 hens are over 3.5 kg .plus they lay nice dark eggs 5/6 .

chooks man

@Chooks man I have a few cuckoo roo/bc hen chicks. I had on my old laptop instructions how to breed birchen (silver black) but unfortunately that laptop does not work. can you please tell me again what I keep from these F1 and what to do next. I have some female looking chicks with a cuckoo pattern but half are silver and half copper. they look like mossy cuckoo. one has copper hackle and is getting cuckoo on the rest of the body. I could keep gold cuckoo as well. and I might have a few pure silver cuckoo chicks.

Back
Top Bottom