International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I am sure you are right.
Her eggs were very small though. A lot of them smaller than a usual pullet egg. I expect them to be larger by 1 year old. I would not be able to use them for hatching proper Marans. And they were not very dark. After the first month of laying, they stayed a consistant #4.

These were my reasons for not keeping her.
If you say I made a mistake though, I accept that. From now on, I will consult with you all first.

Thank you for this.

That hen was selected for her correct tail ,not her eggs .
now can you tell me where you are going to get a hen with god tail like her ,do you have one ? hope so .
for me every trait is valuable not only dark eggs . you are not going to win any show with marans that lay dark eggs but they are horrible looking .
French Standard explain very well marans hen . marans hen should have marans standard and lay dark eggs minimum #4 . marans hen with correct look but she can not lay dark eggs is not called marans , Marans hen who lay dark eggs but she does not look correct ,she is not classify marans ,
true marans hen is well balanced hen , correct body type ,correct conformation plus she lay dark eggs .
I m trying to help you guys to breed correct marans not dark eggs layer strain .

good luck .
chooks man

Winter is only few days away down here , all my hens finished molting ,all looking great .few start laying . Dark Angel ,White Orchid and few more .
I have to start penning them for breeding soon ,looking forward to start 2021 breeding season part 2 .
tomorrow going to the farm ,will have new photos to post .
chooks man

And we just had our last frost of the season and are looking forwards to summer!!
We will be waiting for the pictures and may you make the best of decisions for your breeders.

That hen was selected for her correct tail ,not her eggs .
now can you tell me where you are going to get a hen with god tail like her ,do you have one ? hope so .
for me every trait is valuable not only dark eggs . you are not going to win any show with marans that lay dark eggs but they are horrible looking .
French Standard explain very well marans hen . marans hen should have marans standard and lay dark eggs minimum #4 . marans hen with correct look but she can not lay dark eggs is not called marans , Marans hen who lay dark eggs but she does not look correct ,she is not classify marans ,
true marans hen is well balanced hen , correct body type ,correct conformation plus she lay dark eggs .
I m trying to help you guys to breed correct marans not dark eggs layer strain .

good luck .
chooks man
Yes @Chooks man You are correct.
I value everything you are teaching me.

I want to breed to French Marans Standard. I should have kept her then. My mistake.

On a lighter note, every one of the line #3 pullets have beautiful, low tails. There are a total of 9.

well bred and healthy hens should not pick on the rooster.
I do not breed from those hens { they carry the cannibalism gene }.

chooks man
Luckily for me they are not FBCM but Cinnamon queens' I threw into the pen as I needed space. And I really do not like having two hens with a rooster. It will be resolved when he gets better as I am currently in build mode for 9 new runs and pens.

Interesting to note that there is a cannibalism gene.

Happy to note the second hen from this trio is a superb mom

Oh boy big problems here at the farm. I think I have 5 Broody Marans hens now. Safe to say I have the broody trait in my flock. :lau I have 3 hens sharing 8 chicks it is great to see the team work.
2 sharing the same box at times
ED2A3987-735C-44FA-9AFD-F73267D539B0.jpeg

Yes @Chooks man You are correct.
I value everything you are teaching me.

I want to breed to French Marans Standard. I should have kept her then. My mistake.

On a lighter note, every one of the line #3 pullets have beautiful, low tails. There are a total of 9.

looking forward to see some photos of them .they brothers have long tail At the right angle .
wen we breed chooks ,we always try to keep genetic diversity not breeding from brothers sisters ,except when we try to fix a particular trait .

chooks man

Oh boy big problems here at the farm. I think I have 5 Broody Marans hens now. Safe to say I have the broody trait in my flock. :lau I have 3 hens sharing 8 chicks it is great to see the team work.
2 sharing the same box at times
View attachment 2693331

I wish I had this problem ,I was short of broody hens this season .had to use the bator .

chooks man

I have a lot of cockerels this year.
Here are a couple of the cockerels along side some Ameraucanas. I am really likeing the guy on the right. I have sold a lot of birds/Pullets this spring. I will start breeding for myself pretty soon.View attachment 2693336

they are stunning . he is solid your boy .
you don t seem to have great luck ,lot broody hens and lot cockerels .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom