International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I don't think parasitic white has to do with melanine.

if you didn't have good cockerels if would take you some time to breed the dark guy with the overcoloured hens. why would you do that?

if you have a black hen you can start a solid black flock with them.
Exactly.
I dont want to go backwards. I was curious about the genetics.
An all black flock sounds interesting but I will stick to one variety for now. Thank you!🙂

I have a question.

This cockerel is over melanised. Does this also mean he would be less sensitive to parasitic white? Is there a better chance of him growing out and not getting white underfluff?

If I breed him to a well colored hen with complete hackles, would it be an improvement or am I just setting myself backwards and making more work for myself.
You would be working backwards. The Cock contributes his genes to all his progeny whereas the Hen contributes her genes only to her sons. Besides, you have better options with your other cockerels.

That's why I'm torn. That front half of her is picture perfect, but the tail and parasitic white are such problems to deal with. If I ever get smaller pens, I want to put her with a low tailed boy but I'm not sure if worth it, but that head! She is so voluptuous too. Big and beefy, almost fluffy

I don t think she can help u. I don t see what u can get from breeding her.
Chooks man

I have a question.

This cockerel is over melanised. Does this also mean he would be less sensitive to parasitic white? Is there a better chance of him growing out and not getting white underfluff?

If I breed him to a well colored hen with complete hackles, would it be an improvement or am I just setting myself backwards and making more work for myself.

Melanin is not related to parasitic white.
Chooks man

You would be working backwards. The Cock contributes his genes to all his progeny whereas the Hen contributes her genes only to her sons. Besides, you have better options with your other cockerels.

All the Autussomal genes are passed down to all the chicks from the Sire and the Dam
Sex linked genes are different. The Sire passes all the genes to all his progeny
The Hen could only passes those genes to her sons.
Chooks man

I've got more marans chicks. sorry for not taking pics yet but I am too busy these days. it seems a lot of them might be cockerels so I will try to sell them as soon as possible. I just need time to separate chicks by breeds so that I can see them better. some of them are small, have flight feathers only.

btw, I've got marans, araucana, naked necks, and some bresse and australorp that I will sell.

So, I got these 6 from the same breeder I got Idiot from. We will see. I do have 7 more of idiots offspring hatching this weekend. They are a week old.

IMG_20210524_091959.jpg

IMG_20210524_092005.jpg

IMG_20210524_092008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom