International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

View attachment 3273833
this time worked .
this rooster is from Fiona ,my friend who sold me the fertile eggs few years back ,all my marans BC /BLC /Splash/ Solid Black and some cuckoos are from her line .
so this guy is related to my chooks just different way of selection ,he is been bred by Fiona .
what do guys think of him ?
I will comment on him after I see your comment first ,true comment please .
I ll say this ,if I start showing my marans in Australia I don t think any body will win any thing again me .I will take all the trophies home for sure . that is a big ego hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa . no really I know how to select marans to get the best out of them. I have learn from my mama and my Grand mama , 3 generation of marans breeding ,I will not get beaten easily .
what do you think guys let me know please .
chooks man
View attachment 3273833
this time worked .
this rooster is from Fiona ,my friend who sold me the fertile eggs few years back ,all my marans BC /BLC /Splash/ Solid Black and some cuckoos are from her line .
so this guy is related to my chooks just different way of selection ,he is been bred by Fiona .
what do guys think of him ?
I will comment on him after I see your comment first ,true comment please .
I ll say this ,if I start showing my marans in Australia I don t think any body will win any thing again me .I will take all the trophies home for sure . that is a big ego hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa . no really I know how to select marans to get the best out of them. I have learn from my mama and my Grand mama , 3 generation of marans breeding ,I will not get beaten easily .
what do you think guys let me know please .
chooks man

"We do not critique our chooks, we describe."
Chooks man

Long type? Rectangular, good mass

Head: nice shape.

Beak: correct horn colored

Comb: average size with 5 points, back of comb touches head, SOP calls for it not to touch. No sprigs, nice texture.

Wattles: average size

Eye color: orange, bright, correct

Ear tuft: copper

Neck: nicely arched

Top line: straight long back at proper angle.

Tail: correct 45 degree angle.I see no white underfluff at base or in tail feathers in photo. There is something about the tail that needs improvement. I cant figure it out.

Color: copper in hackle shows slight halo near the base, should be rich copper color all the way down, front neck hackles are still growing in.
Complete shoulder color, saddle copper still growing in, lancets correct color, no white.

Wing: tucked against body, wing tip is held low. Tip should be tucked up further against body

Bottom line: well balanced, tall on his feet, legs properly positioned.

Legs: correct leg color, slate with pink.
Feathering is very sparse, SOP calls for medium leg feathering down shank and 3rd toe.

Body feathering is tight to body with minimal fluff

Chest is deep with minimal copper, good breast mass.

Conformation is correct.

I look forward to your corrections of my description. :)

He is beautiful!

Last edited:
View attachment 3273879
@Punkybrewster . this pullet in the middle hasn t got a leg tag and she is different to the chunky one ,very long flat back and stunning tail impressive, not much feathers on her legs . she is free from any extra fluff around her thighs and tail . nice to breed cockerels from her .
chooks man

I am in the process of putting red leg bands on all the f1. I just remembered one of these pullets is actually an f2 olive egger.

They are all wing banded. The olive egger is not. I will find her as I leg band.
I hope it is not this one pictured but she may be. She looks smaller and different from the rest.

@Punkybrewster , the pullet in the middle looking @ the camera is absolutely sublime , with a proper comb she is be hard to beat at any marans show at the international level . you have some stunning job with your marans in a short time ,I m really impressed . I remember the chooks you have started with .they look nothing like these one you have now .
marans chooks when bred properly are stunning looking bird for sure . plus they lay dark eggs ,bonus .
chooks man
View attachment 3273863

Thank you @Chooks man.
This means a lot to me.

I am slowly figuring out how this works.

View attachment 3273887
@Punkybrewster ,this girl look very chunky and close to the ground type ,my favourite type very old marans traits ,original . 3 thing are going against her , comb little big ,tail little high and extra fluff around her thigh .
she excel on body type ,very deep chest ,mass, pure black plumage and under fluff , medium to short legs well feathered . well developed abdomen lower to the ground .
I have to think how we are going to breed her . little tricky for sure ,because she is the last one in her line with her brother .
need you to post some photos of you 4 cockerel ,nice photos showing them standing side way like this pullet . I need to see they stance so I can select the best much for her .
we need to keep this line going for the genetic diversity . even if it hard to work with .
chooks man

I will get photos for you.

@Punkybrewster I think I have commented on all your pullets . one by one .
next time post each pullet separately with her pedigree like I do ,it is more easier to comment on them knowing who they are, and they lineage please .
group photos are for the young one not for the adult birds future breeder , I need to know every thing about them so I can advice you correctly .
chooks man

I will.
Thank you

I am in the process of putting red leg bands on all the f1. I just remembered one of these pullets is actually an f2 olive egger.

They are all wing banded. The olive egger is not. I will find her as I leg band.
I hope it is not this one pictured but she may be. She looks smaller and different from the rest.
she look s different for sure ,I thought she is from different line
chooks man

View attachment 3273806
@Punkybrewster . this guy has a correct comb ,I know you culled him but do you still have his sisters or half sisters ? they will help you out to down size the combs in your flock . let me know please .if you still have just one that will be great ,I will show you to breed her to get the nice comb .
chooks man

Of course I dont have his sister. That would be too convenient!

He was Waylons progeny.
I made a mistake culling them all.
Lesson learned. A hard one.

I was so worried about passing on bad genetics. 50% wry tails as they grew, One developed a large mass on his neck, The last one to go went lame at 11 months. Just like Waylon.
Did not keep any pullets.

Of course I dont have his sister. That would be too convenient!

He was Waylons progeny.
I made a mistake culling them all.
Lesson learned. A hard one.

I was so worried about passing on bad genetics. 50% wry tails as they grew, One developed a large mass on his neck, The last one to go went lame at 11 months. Just like Waylon.
Did not keep any pullets.
that alright .we will find another way to fix the comb.will take time that all ,but it is possible.
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom