International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

It is very difficult to find any good Marans here too. Black Coppers are rare and I've never seen a Black Silver here at all. I wish I could find both.
The BCM's I have are from Meyers. So there's that. Kong is the best of the my 3 boys. He has a thick comb and hes narrow towards the back. Both King and Prince (Kings son) both have high tails and loaded with white. If I'm gonna get serious I need better quality birds I know that. Hence, the reason I'm looking for better Black Silvers. I guess I just need to send @Bantambird money and have her put 13 birds on a first class flight back to Michigan. 😂
I do think she should pay for the in flight snacks and cocktails tho for them....🖒

I guess I just need to send @Bantambird money and have her put 13 birds on a first class flight back to Michigan. 😂
I do think she should pay for the in flight snacks and cocktails tho for them....🖒
Well, I could head to Michigan and pick you up and we could share the ride to Montana. Probably be better on the birds for the trip home, don't ya think? We could just get a couple dozen or so. She had some nice Splashes, too! :clap :lau

Hey, @Bantam bird I'd sure love to see those Splashes if you still have them?? :love When you have time, of course.

Well, I could head to Michigan and pick you up and we could share the ride to Montana. Probably be better on the birds for the trip home, don't ya think? We could just get a couple dozen or so. She had some nice Splashes, too! :clap :lau

Hey, @Bantam bird I'd sure love to see those Splashes if you still have them?? :love When you have time, of course.
You pay for the gas and I'll get the in flight cocktails and snacks. :lau I'm like 23-24 hrs to Montana. We should be good and tuned up by then and out of money.....:lau:highfive:

I am super flattered that anyone would make a road trip here to see my birds. I ended up with a lot of grow out black silvers this year, I did not advertise them so I could get a good selection group this time around, by this fall I will have a lot of growout point of lay pullets and extra cockerels available that have to move by winter. It is the start of irrigation season for me and so I am out in the field a lot for my hay fields, I am using traditional dirt ditches and moveable dams with v braces so there ends up being quite a bit of babysitting during that time of year. The ditch system is down at the moment due to crazy amounts of rainfall so for the next few days I am not shackled to the water, I will go take some pictures. There is one splash cockerel I am watching, I am calling him the splashiest splash, because he has so much color variation all over, so I should get some pictures of him at least. The growout pen is not super old, the oldest of the group is end of March, so I haven't been doing much selecting yet, outside of occasional sales. I see all the other setups, I have very limited pens, but lots of running about space, so I end up letting everything run about after a certain amount of time to get them stronger, but some day, I would love to build bachelor pens and pullet pens. I will likely be letting out the breeders and penning the pullets in one of the breeder pens just so the pullets don't have to contend with hormonal teenage cockerels. I am near Yellowstone Park, relative to where everyone else is, its about 2 hours from here.

It took me about 6 to 8 years before I eliminated the occasional copper that would show up in the wing bows. It can be carried in the hens and not show up on them, it pretty much only shows up in the males. I found certain tells and most of those carrying hens are gone, however, I get a rare copper feather even now. Along with that, I get a rare occurrence of yellow feet show up every once in a while. These I ether sell to folks, after telling them about the yellow feet and them really only caring that the bird lay a nice, edible egg, or I eat all the yellow footed males that show up. They are becoming very scarce, but it definitely must be a recessive gene. I did eliminate coronation comb from the original group. This took several generations and rigorous watch on side sprigs during butchering time. Side sprig meant culling. For the most part, mine have always had smaller combs, owing to the first group I got from a Mr Reeves, whom is now retired from breeding poultry. I am very pleased with the smaller medium combs, due to our grossly cold winters. Sometimes, my marans will carry through winter without loosing all their points!
So those are flaws or interesting things breeders might want to know about my flock.

20230605_204855.jpg

I really like this guy. He's more colorful when you see him next to other splash.
20230605_205158.jpg

20230605_204737.jpg
20230605_204629.jpg
20230605_204716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom