International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

My 9 month old BCM cockerel Axl charged my wife yesterday while free ranging. She was throwing out some scratch for them and he ran up to her. She assumed the he was running up to get some food but instead of stopping at the food he jumped up and came at her spurs first. I yelled at him and he retreated. That’s the first time he has ever shown and aggression towards people.

We did move one of the hen and her babies out of the main coop into the isolation/grow out pin early that day. So I don’t know if he is upset because he saw us take the hen out and now he can’t find her.

Attached is a pic of momma and babies settled into the isolation pin. momma is a Jersey Giant babies are BCMxEE and OEView attachment 3788322
I'm not giving advise, you do as you see fit with your Axl. If you want advise start a thread and you'll get a ton of "Off with his head". I stay out of them threads because I have my own views.

Here's my take, or my thinking.
He's got a lot going on in his world.
1. He's 9 months old
2. He's now the only roo, correct? If he is, he's got all this responsibility now and it's new.
You just culled the other roo/roos and this is a transition period for him to flock leader.
3. He's 9 months old.
4. Now one of his hens is taken (Broody separated... I don't know your setup for line of sight) with babies. Has he imprinted on them yet?
5. Is the Wife a friendly? This isn't new to him?
6. He's 9 months old.

Lots of people call these excuses and should not be tolerated. I call these triggers to a young roo that's still trying to transition to being flock leader and should be looked at thru his eyes, but again, he's yours and you've got your Wife's safety to consider.

Hopefully he chills down for ya, bud.

I'm not giving advise, you do as you see fit with your Axl. If you want advise start a thread and you'll get a ton of "Off with his head". I stay out of them threads because I have my own views.

Here's my take, or my thinking.
He's got a lot going on in his world.
1. He's 9 months old
2. He's now the only roo, correct? If he is, he's got all this responsibility now and it's new.
You just culled the other roo/roos and this is a transition period for him to flock leader.
3. He's 9 months old.
4. Now one of his hens is taken (Broody separated... I don't know your setup for line of sight) with babies. Has he imprinted on them yet?
5. Is the Wife a friendly? This isn't new to him?
6. He's 9 months old.

Lots of people call these excuses and should not be tolerated. I call these triggers to a young roo that's still trying to transition to being flock leader and should be looked at thru his eyes, but again, he's yours and you've got your Wife's safety to consider.

Hopefully he chills down for ya, bud.

He is the only roo I currently have. I’m not going to cull him over a this one time but I won’t tolerate it for a long time. He is a raging ball of hormones at the moment. He has 15 girls all to himself and 2 of them are getting bare backs from all his attention.

I plan to extend the run and keep them pinned up more once we get the garden planted.

I’m not going to cull him over a this one time but I won’t tolerate it for a long time. He is a raging ball of hormones at the moment.
I completely agree.. I was trying to say that without giving advise.

And I forgot to add.
🤣It's Spring!! 🤣

Couple 3 or 4 days ago Kong smacked me in the back of the legs walking out of the run with the empty scratch container.
I'm only posting it now cuz it's related or I wouldn't post it. (Again, my views). He's done it before but it's been a long time.

Trigger... I throw some scratch down for his girls but I leave a small handful in container for handfeeding him one on one.

I didn't that day. Spoiled much... 🤪

It has warmed up finally, and the sun has come at last, but since it was so dreary for almost 2 weeks, everyone stopped laying! Let's hope the sunshine and nice spring weather gets everyone laying again.
Might be getting a little of what you had. 40's lately, rain snow mix. Couple more days of it then 50-60's starting next week.

Hoping your girls pick up laying for you soon. 🙂

Babies... 🙂
IMG_20240403_102036.jpg
IMG_20240403_102444.jpg
IMG_20240403_102451.jpg
IMG_20240403_102256.jpg
IMG_20240403_102346.jpg
IMG_20240403_102335.jpg
IMG_20240403_102342.jpg

Back
Top Bottom