International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have some hope then! So very interesting that it isn't totally apparent yet. He/she is actually bigger than the other guy. He/she appears to have the pointy saddle feathers coming in. But no copper color coming in on the shoulders...it's a mystery!
Oh no..... not pointy feathers! That blows my theory. Still I agree with @shepherd6567 .... let them grow up.

Marchick, is it common at only 2 weeks of age for a female chick to have large red comb and wattles? This chicken has me so confused!
No, It is not common. I have to say though. The line I have now. I guessed rooster and three hens at first. By about 3 or so weeks of age. They all looked cockerals because there combs started growing and looked like just late maturing cockerals. My first guess was right 1 cockeral and three pullets. My line is fast feathering. Pointed feathers say it all cockeral for sure.

IMG_1533.PNG
IMG_1535.PNG
IMG_1534.PNG
IMG_1533.PNG

I will agree to disagree but I am still sticking with the 2nd bird being a cockerel. I've been raising chickens a long time and if that bird is a pullet I'm a two headed billy goat. Lol

Males dont start getting pointy colored feathers until they shed their juvenile feathers when they go through the juvenile molt. By what you all are saying this blue copper cockerel of mine isnt a cockerel because he hasnt gotten his color in yet. He still has his baby feathers. He has dark ear tufts. But I know he is a male. He acts male, is bigger and thicker than the females. Pullets dont get big cherry red combs until closer to point of lay.

Screenshot_20180521-180243_Gallery.jpg

Here is a pullet the same age.

20180517_123409.jpg

Back
Top Bottom