International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I
I've got a ten week old cockerel.... he's. .. a bit under colored. His father is over colored and mother could be consider under or good... he is just now getting copper in his hackle like a pullet, while his brothers already have complete copper color and some saddle color along with over colored chests...
Coukd he turn out to be a "hen colored" rooster?
I seriously doubt it, he's only 10 weeks. Give him time to bloom.

I've got a ten week old cockerel.... he's. .. a bit under colored. His father is over colored and mother could be consider under or good... he is just now getting copper in his hackle like a pullet, while his brothers already have complete copper color and some saddle color along with over colored chests...
Coukd he turn out to be a "hen colored" rooster?

I have birds that are brothers and some just develop at different rates. I would see them through until they are at least 6 months old. I have several now that are around 3 months old and are just now starting to get a little copper on their back.

One of my marans pullets is quite large - as big as the cockerel- and constantly feather picking. Like non stop. It's not a space issue. They are on starter grower feed. Is it okay to switch to game bird starter if I can't find a chick feed with higher protein?

One of my marans pullets is quite large - as big as the cockerel- and constantly feather picking. Like non stop. It's not a space issue. They are on starter grower feed. Is it okay to switch to game bird starter if I can't find a chick feed with higher protein?

We mix 28% gamebird starter with regular starter to increase the protein when we have feather pickers. It helps a lot. Make sure they have access to plenty of grass and stuff to scratch in to keep busy. Free ranging when you can helps a too. Our Marans and Legbars dont do it, but our Games feather pick bad.

Last edited:
I have broken up all my breeding pens and let the hens out for a little summer break to free range as I always do. Today I noticed I was missing Lucille at feeding time. As I looked around I found a big pile of her pretty blue feathers. She was taken by a varmint. The feathers weren't in the coop so it happened in the daytime. Probably a hawk. Her light blue feathers probably made her stand out more than the others. :(

Our GP's are fenced on one end of our property and the birds were free ranging on the unfenced part. Loss is part of it, but it never fails to be one of your favorites when you lose a bird.

I have broken up all my breeding pens and let the hens out for a little summer break to free range as I always do. Today I noticed I was missing Lucille at feeding time. As I looked around I found a big pile of her pretty blue feathers. She was taken by a varmint. The feathers weren't in the coop so it happened in the daytime. Probably a hawk. Her light blue feathers probably made her stand out more than the others. :(

Our GP's are fenced on one end of our property and the birds were free ranging on the unfenced part. Loss is part of it, but it never fails to be one of your favorites when you lose a bird.
:(:(It's always the favorites that have to go, isn't it? Sorry

Back
Top Bottom