International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I agree these pictures are sharper. I thank you very much for your feedback.

This is his dad, he was very dark, and he grew those white tail feathers after I hatched the babies,
ep.gif
his mother is molting I will try and get a photo later, but she is looking rough. Poor girly.

He is a big guy. At 5 months his son will probably still grow more, the roosters I have raised have gone through a leggy stage before filling out some more, I believe it was usually right near 5 months that they started "fitting in" with their legs.

Thanks Chooks Man! You are a great teacher and thanks for the corrections to my evaluation of Chickapee's cockerel. I still have much to learn but getting more confidence every day.

Keith

Good day to you all! I spent the morning sitting in chicken poop and behaving like the paparazzi. :sick He is a ham! This is the same boy that was posted on the other thread. I figured I will show and tell one at a time. I am embarrassed to say that they are all battling fowl pox we have had an awfully wet summer and mosquitoes the size of small dogs. I shot a bunch of pics in their pen which is under a big oak tree for shade which is why I had to use a flash. The photos without the flash are pretty grainy. I think I kept one. So without further ado meet 5 1/2 month old Henri again in all his glory. :fl
Hey Chickapee, I still like this cockerel so my evaluation stands as amended by Chooks Man. In my experience cockerels change a lot between 6 and 18 months of age so he has time to add body mass. I had a cockerel that I thought was a can't miss breeder but when he reached 18 months (after his first adult molt) he developed a straw flame in his hackle, white tail fluff and white ear lobes none of which he had at 6 months. I'm learning to be more patient with this breed. Have a great day, Keith

Hey Chickapee,

I still like this cockerel so my evaluation stands as amended by Chooks Man. In my experience cockerels change a lot between 6 and 18 months of age so he has time to add body mass. I had a cockerel that I thought was a can't miss breeder but when he reached 18 months (after his first adult molt) he developed a straw flame in his hackle, white tail fluff and white ear lobes none of which he had at 6 months. I'm learning to be more patient with this breed.

Have a great day,
Keith

Thanks alot. Not going to eat this one for a long time.
The darkest egg in this basket is from his mother.

LL
LL

here father and son .
What did we gain from the mama hen and what we lost.

1) father had a great tail shape ,form and Angle / the son has a light long tail = mam carry the high tail gene = do no mate him back to her.

2)father had a darker copper / son has a correct copper = mama hen did magic ( she must carry more gold than Mahogany) = could be mated back to her to establish the color.

3) Father had a short back / son have a correct back = mama hen must had a long correct back =could be mated back to her to reinforce the back.

Comb Father and son almost the same = mama hen hasn t got the great comb to correct the fault.

4) father had a good mass /son too tall and slim = mama hen didn t had a great mass = not to be mated back to her.

chooks man

LL
LL
here father and son . What did we gain from the mama hen and what we lost. 1) father had a great tail shape ,form and Angle / the son has a light long tail = mam carry the high tail gene = do no mate him back to her. 2)father had a darker copper / son has a correct copper = mama hen did magic ( she must carry more gold than Mahogany) = could be mated back to her to establish the color. 3) Father had a short back / son have a correct back = mama hen must had a long correct back =could be mated back to her to reinforce the back. Comb Father and son almost the same = mama hen hasn t got the great comb to correct the fault. 4) father had a good mass /son too tall and slim = mama hen didn t had a great mass = not to be mated back to her. chooks man
Chooks Man, I really appreciate these lessons. I'm taking notes so that I can formulate my breeding strategy for Spring 2017. Thanks for all that you do for us on this forum. Keith

LL
LL
here father and son . What did we gain from the mama hen and what we lost. 1) father had a great tail shape ,form and Angle / the son has a light long tail = mam carry the high tail gene = do no mate him back to her. 2)father had a darker copper / son has a correct copper = mama hen did magic ( she must carry more gold than Mahogany) = could be mated back to her to establish the color. 3) Father had a short back / son have a correct back = mama hen must had a long correct back =could be mated back to her to reinforce the back. Comb Father and son almost the same = mama hen hasn t got the great comb to correct the fault. 4) father had a good mass /son too tall and slim = mama hen didn t had a great mass = not to be mated back to her. chooks man
Thank you I will get a pic of the mum. For you.

These are a few pics that were taken when she was around 4 1/2 months. I will go and get the molting pics tomorrow.

that explain why her son have a long high tail .
Look at her tail well too long and she carries it high in photos 2 .

But she is gorgeous great hackle that from where her son got his rich red copper and correct body color .
she have a wide shoulder and good chest / her son got that from her.

now I have seen her I ll say mate him back to her and hatch quite a lot minimum 50 and you will get few nice correct cockerels to choose from plus we will be reinforcing the rich copper and a dark eggs too . they will be a lot cockerel for the freezer but that breeding .

I do see there is some thing there if they are mated together to produce a F2 progeny 75% inbred from the Dam site .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom