International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

hello all, I'm new to the forum and have lots of questions. I'm new to breeding chickens and I really don't know where to start, what I want to do is breed FBCM to SOP. I would love to know how I could start and what I could start with to get a pure BCM line without taking any short cuts. I want the breed to flourish and not be diluted by inbreeding and what not. but seeing as I'm a rookie I would value the opinion of someone who is a veteran of the breed. thank you.

So I should breed her to her brother to test what they might carry.

We shall find out what lies within my birds soon enough, the only thing slowing me down is waiting for some hatchable sized eggs.

This may be a dumb question and please forgive me if it is, how would a hidden silver birchen gene express itself in her chicks if mated back to her brother?

Would I have to cross to her brother and then their offspring back to her to find that out?

First you have to mate her to her brother /half brother/ cousin ( we don t know) and see what the result .

the genes will pair up differently when cross over . So any recessive gene will pair up with another recessive and will show up as phenotype .

if both carry the birchen gene ( silver) than we will know

chooks man

hello all, I'm new to the forum and have lots of questions. I'm new to breeding chickens and I really don't know where to start, what I want to do is breed FBCM to SOP. I would love to know how I could start and what I could start with to get a pure BCM line without taking any short cuts. I want the breed to flourish and not be diluted by inbreeding and what not. but seeing as I'm a rookie I would value the opinion of someone who is a veteran of the breed. thank you.

do you have any marans ?

how do you like to start ?

what space and timing are you have ?

tell us a little bit about your plain and how do you need help .

we are here to support each other and the French marans breed

any question don t be shy to ask .

chooks man

Chickengr all this eggs colours are good BUT don t forget the work that goes with it ,plus the extra coop and space needed .

you have to choose the breed you realy want to work with .that will make it easy for you to organize your self and your breeding program .

one step at the time you ll go very far .

For me I found my breed and every body know that .I m a marans man .easier to work with one breed with many variety .

my friend give me his CLB and White Aracauna to work with to help him fix them BUT I don t really like them. I told him I ll help him this breeding season and that all . for me any extra pen will be for my MARANS ..

When I establish the marans breed I ll move to my project Creating my oun breed the MARNECK . far in the future .

My personal opinion .

chooks man
I will just put 2-3 blue egg layers with my marans and the pullets that hatch will go to my layer flock. I have many weak hens there so there will be room for new chickens.

:welcome
Make your self at home, ask away. Very friendly helpful people here. :thumbsup

I will just put 2-3 blue egg layers with my marans and the pullets that hatch will go to my layer flock. I have many weak hens there so there will be room for new chickens.

that alright better to have a colorful eggs basket.

I though you where thinking of breeding them by the 100 .

I have a friend of mine she is asking me to make them for her . she is in the city .she can have hens but no roosters .
she is going crazy about the colorful eggs basket . she is welling to pay a good price too .

I have now all the 3 strain need to make them .

I ll see maybe at the end of the season I ll through SAMIR Dominant white /Splash over my friend Cream LegBar and make the F1 .

chooks man

Welcome to IBCM thread. This thread is still new enough that you could start reading from the beginning. A lot of your questions will be answered. You can ask questions from anywhere in the thread so in your reading if you would like clarification just reply to any of the posts. If you have birds and would like to post pictures of them for evaluation please check out post #1407. We can do a better critique with the right pictures. We have fun and support each other. Ask questions, comment and participate, everyone has something to share.

Back
Top Bottom