International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you all for the compliments on my chicks. I am grateful that I have quite a few that are coming along really nicely.

Chooks man, I am happy to see that your hatches are coming along nicely.
Hopefully the site will sort itself out soon and you can share photos of your chicks with all of us.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the other pullet of my bunch.

She is Pullet 2, she wouldn't stop moving and then decided she would just sit down instead.

She is a very fat chick, I like her personality.

I think she has the wrong eye color though.

Here is one of the chicks that just looks odd, he is the only one with that eye color and with white on the breast. His beak is horn colored, he is just kind of weird.

I know which hen he is from and he is the only one I hatched from her (dad was his half uncle).
His mom has white on the ear tufts. I wondered about her possible containing a gene for something like this. Any thoughts?

This is his mom. I truly would appreciate the info if anyone has experience with this sort of thing.

Here is one of the chicks that just looks odd, he is the only one with that eye color and with white on the breast. His beak is horn colored, he is just kind of weird. I know which hen he is from and he is the only one I hatched from her (dad was his half uncle). His mom has white on the ear tufts. I wondered about her possible containing a gene for something like this. Any thoughts? This is his mom. I truly would appreciate the info if anyone has experience with this sort of thing.
One or two of my cockerels from my LA group had the white stipling on their breast at first also but it molted out. White is nothing to worry about when they're babies. He has nice eye color and they all seem very healthy and vigorous. The pullet has brown eyes but eye color comes from the male in a breeding so if she has good type you can still use her. :)

Last edited:
Hey y'all I've a question. I've only got 1 BCM pullet and 1 Blue CM rooster. I know if you cross a BCM and a BlueCM 50% offspring will be blue and 50% will be black. I've heard you should not keep the blacks that come from that crossing as their coloring will be off. The copper might be more brassy and the black may not be a stark dark black and will have a dull sheen. What do you guys know about this? I might put a picture up of both tomorrow if I can fit it in my Christmas Day schedule. Then maybe someone can tell me if either are worth keeping as breeders either way. Thanks guys :)

Hey y'all I've a question. I've only got 1 BCM pullet and 1 Blue CM rooster. I know if you cross a BCM and a BlueCM 50% offspring will be blue and 50% will be black. I've heard you should not keep the blacks that come from that crossing as their coloring will be off. The copper might be more brassy and the black may not be a stark dark black and will have a dull sheen. What do you guys know about this? I might put a picture up of both tomorrow if I can fit it in my Christmas Day schedule. Then maybe someone can tell me if either are worth keeping as breeders either way. Thanks guys :)
You should not breed the Black Copper Marans from a BBS (black, blue, splash) breeding into a line of straight Black Coppers is what I've been told. I would only use Black Coppers from a BBS breeding in a BBS line. The BBS does dilute the black and can make copper more yellow/gold.

Here is a chart I have saved on my computer if you need it for reference.
smile.png

You should not breed the Black Copper Marans from a BBS (black, blue, splash) breeding into a line of straight Black Coppers is what I've been told. I would only use Black Coppers from a BBS breeding in a BBS line. The BBS does dilute the black and can make copper more yellow/gold. Here is a chart I have saved on my computer if you need it for reference. :)
Thanks for that! I have a similar chart saved saved as saved as well :] A black from a BBS line is straight black, no copper, right? Is that not true for a Blue? Wouldn't the Blue be straight blue and no copper? My Blue is coppered as well. Thanks for responding. I have some followup questions too :p

Back
Top Bottom