International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you. I am very excited she is decent and am tickled to death my chick pic was appreciated. I bought these as week old chicks from a lady I traveled 8 hours round trip for. After hearing what you guys have to say I may ask her for some more, to have more to work with.

Thank you Keith. I do remember chooks man posting that. I have read this entire thread and am more excited than ever to dig in and breed some of my own. This thread is so full of valuable information along with such wonderful and helpful people. Straightforward critiques paired with ideas on how to fix issues. I will probably be relying heavily on you guys. I hope you do not mind.

About naming the pullet, I guess I should do that.. lol all of my grown chickens have names with with the exception of the 2 Marans. My children named then. I'm so bad at names. It took me till I was 8 months pregnant with two of my children before I found a name for them. That pullets personality is very sweet. She doesn't pick on anyone and no one picks on her, she and the blue copper cockerel are about in the middle of the pecking order. Everytime I enter the yard she is the first one running to me to see what I brought. If I don't have anything she just stands there waiting under my feet anyway even after the others of have moved on.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of him at a week or two old and one of the pullet for reference. Yes he is very dark blue. His brother was a lot lighter. He is no longer with us.

This is the cockerel that I don't have anymore. Lighter blue.

This is the pullet in the picture

I was supposed to pay electricity bill BUT I am going to buy an incubator first!

LL

what I like about him is his body type and his long back .deep chest and wide shoulder.
love his copper too need more on his back .

when we are not sure about a true color like this case , a taste mating is very useful .

for the body color is not always as important as other trait like body type and mass .

@ bullet if you know a person you got them from go and get some more , he/she seem to have a great marans type . i like them a lot .

good luck

chooks man

LL
LL

TRUE BLACK COPPER MARANS HATCH DOWN

NOT THIS OVERMELENIZED THING MOST PEOPLE TALK ABOUT.

look at the color of her toes ,nice and pink ,the shank nice a slate . NOT ALL BLACK .

I love this pullet .
you have to name her because she is going to be a future reference of how the black copper marans chicks should look like . and how they look when mature .

BRAVO to the breeder of this fine specimen . if it is you ,than Bravo to you .

chooks man

About naming the pullet, I guess I should do that.. lol all of my grown chickens have names with with the exception of the 2 Marans. My children named then. I'm so bad at names. It took me till I was 8 months pregnant with two of my children before I found a name for them. That pullets personality is very sweet. She doesn't pick on anyone and no one picks on her, she and the blue copper cockerel are about in the middle of the pecking order. Everytime I enter the yard she is the first one running to me to see what I brought. If I don't have anything she just stands there waiting under my feet anyway even after the others of have moved on.

I agree, this is a gorgeous pullet. She was even a beauty as a chick.
She is a great representation of the breed.

I bought these as week old chicks from a lady I traveled 8 hours round trip for. After hearing what you guys have to say I may ask her for some more, to have more to work with.
woah that's dedication. I've been known to do some crazy things myself in the name of marans. But I see it this way, I know what I like and I get what I want. In your case this turned out to be absolutely true and

I must say thanks for sharing the chick pics because I know more about what and how things should look on older birds, but aside from my own anecdotal observations I'm still learning how "chick presentation" later translates to an adult bird.

can i

here a few photos of the chicks that hatched few days ago .

17 hatched one of them ( aras chicks ) died after hatching . another one has a twisted leg ,shame because is a chunky chick .

any way I m very happy about them 15 healthy strong chicks .out of 24 eggs .

chooks man

Thank you. I am very excited she is decent and am tickled to death my chick pic was appreciated. I bought these as week old chicks from a lady I traveled 8 hours round trip for. After hearing what you guys have to say I may ask her for some more, to have more to work with.

Thank you Keith. I do remember chooks man posting that. I have read this entire thread and am more excited than ever to dig in and breed some of my own. This thread is so full of valuable information along with such wonderful and helpful people. Straightforward critiques paired with ideas on how to fix issues. I will probably be relying heavily on you guys. I hope you do not mind.

This thread encourages questions so ask as many as you want. We also like chook and chick pics. :D

Keith

Back
Top Bottom