International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Here is some of my girls. I have 9 total. 3 are from mypetchicken.com and they are tiny and very little copper. The rest are from the same local breeder as my boys. There are a couple with nice combs. Just not in this pic. Their coloring is great though!View attachment 1123673

definitely keep 2 boys. I have a hen with such comb and the boys I got from her are culls due to s-shape combs. I hope the girls will not inherit her comb. at the moment they look ok but they are still too young.

your boys don't have great combs but at least they are acceptable.

again, @Chooks man will tell you better.

View attachment 1123280 View attachment 1123281Thoughts on this guy? He's got one white feather and little light colored feathering on his down. My other choices are View attachment 1123285
This guy orView attachment 1123287
This guy. He's got some tail missing from #2 plucking. They are 6 months old and I need to decide which one to keep soon before my neighbors complain and this guy is tailless . Thanks so much for any input. I appreciate it! I'm new to breeding. I've always just been a buyer.

I wouldn't think twice if I had to choose only one of them. #1 is the best, shape, mass, colour, etc. he is the only one that has copper tufts (important).

I wouldn't think twice if I had to choose only one of them. #1 is the best, shape, mass, colour, etc. he is the only one that has copper tufts (important).
Thank you for your help! I'm learning so much now too. Last thing I want is to produce low quality birds. Am I to assume I should only hatch out of the darkest eggs if egg color is more important than show to me? They just started laying. I've gotten 4-5's and one really dark one. Maybe a #7 with #8 colored spots. I can't wait to see thier true colors!

the white feathers at 6 months old usually molt out. I like #1. if you can keep for now #1 and #3 you can decide later which one to keep.

some chickens sometimes keep their tails little tilted and they look like wry tails. only you can know for sure if it is wry or not. if it is tilted all the time than it is wry. but slightly. my chickens are scared of camera and I have never taken any decent pic of them.

@Chooks man will tell you. I still am a learner.

I'm a newbie but I'm not seeing the wry tail?
image000000_10.jpg

I'm a newbie but I'm not seeing the wry tail?
View attachment 1123810
I don't see it, either. But this is like comedy- you have to be in the business for a couple years before you can call yourself a beginner. You are the best judge of your birds. All you need to do is sit and watch him for a minute or two to tell if it's twisting off to one side.

Here is some of my girls. I have 9 total. 3 are from mypetchicken.com and they are tiny and very little copper. The rest are from the same local breeder as my boys. There are a couple with nice combs. Just not in this pic. Their coloring is great though!View attachment 1123673

love your BCM hens .
they strong point is they body type .orange eyes ,tail angle and long back and the type of copper .
they weakest point are they combs ,thin and floppy .
not enough copper on they hackles .

can you tell more about your cockerels? are they they sons of your hens?

cockerel #1 and #3 both will work with your hens but they ll not fix the comb .

chooks man

View attachment 1123280 View attachment 1123281Thoughts on this guy? He's got one white feather and little light colored feathering on his down. My other choices are View attachment 1123285
This guy orView attachment 1123287
This guy. He's got some tail missing from #2 plucking. They are 6 months old and I need to decide which one to keep soon before my neighbors complain and this guy is tailless . Thanks so much for any input. I appreciate it! I'm new to breeding. I've always just been a buyer.

#1 is your best one if you are going to use him over the BCM hens you posted with the other cockerel#2 .
his back is bothering me .not flat and tilted toward a back . the white on his down is bad if is there after 18 months of age his final molt ( adult molt )

better photo of him standing will help.

chooks man

What are the genetics behind a marans with black saddle and shoulder? Does it breed out?

the genetic of the black saddle and shoulders on a marans rooster .
Black saddle s governed by the sex linked gene s+ .mean the Rooster has 2 copies .hell passes one of each copy to his progeny cockerels and pullet
the hen will only passes her color to her son s
Black saddle roo will never produce any colorful progeny except if he is mated to a special ( specific ) hen.
if the cockerel end up with a black saddle mean that his sire is not colorful enough . this type of cockerel will produce a black pullets .

Blck shoulder is governed by the Autossomal red genes ( colors not related to sex ) Ar. both roo and hen carries the genes and they ll pass them down to they progeny males and females .
Black shoulder Roo will never produce any colorful progeny except if he is mated to specific hen .

chooks man

definitely keep 2 boys. I have a hen with such comb and the boys I got from her are culls due to s-shape combs. I hope the girls will not inherit her comb. at the moment they look ok but they are still too young.

your boys don't have great combs but at least they are acceptable.

again, @Chooks man will tell you better.

X 2 .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom