International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

These are pictures of the brown spotting on Jazz's wings. I feel like my LP pullets are pure BCM, they had pure black wing feathers as chicks. I am sure the spotting is coming from the father's side. All comments are welcome. Wondering what this could mean. Is there another variety mixed with the BCM somewhere on Zorro's side? Thanks in advance.

I think it is just baby staff. don't even think to cull! my cockerels had some feathers like that at that age.

You've all got me worried now that I completely miscategorised these chicks! I was expecting three types, and they seemed to have three distinct plumage, so I assumed that they could be grouped cleanly like that. The white ones obviously are straightforward, but there were these two who looked completely different from the rest:
View attachment 1161890 View attachment 1161891
Since they had clear dots on their heads, I assumed they were the cuckoos and everyone else was black copper. I don't really see dots on the others, but I'm far from being an expert. I'd love to know which ones people think might be cuckoos, if anyone wants to chime in?

wait and see! I had 1 cuckoo chick but that does not make me an expert. I think that at 2 weeks old you should see their colour.

You've all got me worried now that I completely miscategorised these chicks! I was expecting three types, and they seemed to have three distinct plumage, so I assumed that they could be grouped cleanly like that. The white ones obviously are straightforward, but there were these two who looked completely different from the rest:
View attachment 1161890 View attachment 1161891
Since they had clear dots on their heads, I assumed they were the cuckoos and everyone else was black copper. I don't really see dots on the others, but I'm far from being an expert. I'd love to know which ones people think might be cuckoos, if anyone wants to chime in?
Amanita, I am sorry if I made you worry in any way! Was not my intention. I hope I didn't say anything to make you doubt the beauty of your chicks. You have chicks from Monique! How awesome is that. You are going to have gorgeous marans I have no doubt. I still have a lot to learn about the different varieties and their hatch down. I think chickengr is right about a few of them being cuckoos. They will be so pretty. Your chicks are beautiful.

@ Clancys coop

Before I tell you my opinion.... what do you like about her?

honestly ha that she doesn't have fatty liver disease.

in all seriousness, she is a big solid hen with what I see as the epitome of a henly shape. I think her head is a bit masculine

I don't think her tail is great, I think it could have a much better shape.

I'm not sure about her colour her hackles seem too red to me.

but I'm far from an expert.

My roo has missing feathers in his tail. I'll get photos when he's not so ragged. His side's comb was identical before it froze over the winter. It wasn't flopped over. :)

Amanita, I am sorry if I made you worry in any way! Was not my intention. I hope I didn't say anything to make you doubt the beauty of your chicks. You have chicks from Monique! How awesome is that. You are going to have gorgeous marans I have no doubt. I still have a lot to learn about the different varieties and their hatch down. I think chickengr is right about a few of them being cuckoos. They will be so pretty. Your chicks are beautiful.
Oh, don't worry about me, I just stress about everything! I was all set on keeping perfect records for the hatch and between a few difficult ones and the sleep deprivation I feel all mixed up now, but it's entirely on me :)
The chicks are adorable, however they turn out, I'm just really hoping for at least a breeding population of the black coppers since those are the ones I first set my heart on.

@clancys coop

I like this hen. From what I can tell in the pictures.

She has a lovely head.
Good eye color. At least I think she does, I feel that it is just the picture making it look a little dark.
Nice black beak
I love her hackle color. I am envious.
She has a nice body, rectangular with a boat bow front
Her tail looks good to me in these pictures. Good Angle and looks thin and tented from the rear.
She has excellent coloring all over
Good leg color

I think it would be a good exercise for us all to look for what we like in our birds instead of whats wrong. I know it is important to recognize what needs to be worked on but we (me included) tend to dwell on the negative and dismiss the entire bird. That is why I asked what you like about her. She is a lovely hen.

Hens and eggs. I only have four hens laying right now. Hen at top and bottom are the same hen. She has very little copper but I like everything else.
20171016_174131.jpg
20171016_174812.jpg
20171016_175030.jpg
20171015_201525.jpg

@clancys coop

I like this hen. From what I can tell in the pictures.

She has a lovely head.
Good eye color. At least I think she does, I feel that it is just the picture making it look a little dark.
Nice black beak
I love her hackle color. I am envious.
She has a nice body, rectangular with a boat bow front
Her tail looks good to me in these pictures. Good Angle and looks thin and tented from the rear.
She has excellent coloring all over
Good leg color

I think it would be a good exercise for us all to look for what we like in our birds instead of whats wrong. I know it is important to recognize what needs to be worked on but we (me included) tend to dwell on the negative and dismiss the entire bird. That is why I asked what you like about her. She is a lovely hen.

I am bad about dwelling on negatives also!

Back
Top Bottom