International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

looks like it might be IB. if there was a medicine for that I would try a necropsy. but just to know what it was and no help for other chickens makes no sense to me. IB is very common in greece.

she died fighting for breath as all the other IB infected birds did. that's why I think the vet was right when suspected IB. I found a few soft shelled eggs from a few other birds too. and in my short experience with chickens I have learned that only weak chickens get parasites. the healthy ones cope with parasites well.

I think this is a very practical approach to a bad situation.:hugs

@kfelton0002 Will it bleed a lot when I cut it back? Do you use anything to deaden it before you do? I’ll be watching it very closely. We are getting more extremely cold weather for our area today.
Thank you for filling me in about the frost bite. I’m hoping it will work itself out on its own, but I will take it off if I need to

They do bleed some, but not enough to harm the bird and it clots and scabs very quickly. You can hold pressure to stop the bleeding faster but we have never really had to do that as the birds clot fast enough on their own. Dubbing on a cold day seems to work best because there is less bleeding. We do not numb the comb or anything like that as that would require a topical or injectable numbing agent like lidocaine and that isn't available OTC aside from something like Oragel or something similar. The birds flinch some but do not scream with pain or anything. I had someone suggest that the wounds should be cauterized to stop bleeding but the pain from cautery without an anesthetic would be worse on the bird than the actual dubbing procedure IMO. I took a few pics before and after we dubbed my Legbars combs and wattles. The first pic is of Fawkes before being dubbed because he was the worst. The last two pics are Fabio. I will take more pics as they heal. We did these on Sunday and the birds are doing very well. :)

26854264_2218347804902618_2136224437_o.jpg

26853010_2218347788235953_353739833_o.jpg

26782075_2218347694902629_574012758_o.jpg

They do bleed some, but not enough to harm the bird and it clots and scabs very quickly. You can hold pressure to stop the bleeding faster but we have never really had to do that as the birds clot fast enough on their own. Dubbing on a cold day seems to work best because there is less bleeding. We do not numb the comb or anything like that as that would require a topical or injectable numbing agent like lidocaine and that isn't available OTC aside from something like Oragel or something similar. The birds flinch some but do not scream with pain or anything. I had someone suggest that the wounds should be cauterized to stop bleeding but the pain from cautery without an anesthetic would be worse on the bird than the actual dubbing procedure IMO. I took a few pics before and after we dubbed my Legbars combs and wattles. The first pic is of Fawkes before being dubbed because he was the worst. The last two pics are Fabio. I will take more pics as they heal. We did these on Sunday and the birds are doing very well. :)

View attachment 1233014
View attachment 1233013
View attachment 1233012
OUCH!

View attachment 1233014
View attachment 1233013
View attachment 1233012

great job .

he looks totally different . he seem fine with his new look .maybe he ll think he is game cock and start picking the fight .

lucky me my chooks will never seen the Snow .

chooks man

Nah it's not as bad as you think. A quick snip snip and they are back to eating, drinking, and crowing. It's better than watching them stand around rubbing their sore wattles back and forth on their breast and knowing they were in pain from the frost bite, and them possibly getting sick from infection from the frostbite. A short period of pain from the dubbing trumps prolonged pain from the frost bite everyday in my book. Plus I am working on breeding show quality standard Old English Games and their SOP requires dubbing. Some agree with dubbing, some don't. The benefit of dubbing is that the rooster never has to be burdened with frost bite ever again and can live through many winters without the hassle of frost bite. They only have to be dubbed once and the bird is all the better for it in a climate that experiences cold winters. :)

great job .

he looks totally different . he seem fine with his new look .maybe he ll think he is game cock and start picking the fight .

lucky me my chooks will never seen the Snow .

chooks man

They were born thinking they were Gamecocks and are both trouble makers! lol That is why they both had to be caught up as cockerels because they were causing riff raff and fighting with some of the Gamecocks in pens through the wire. When a young cockerel gets brave and shows his hackles to a Gamecock in a pen, the Game doesn't hesitate to get down to business. They hit the wire with their feet and spurs trying to "flog" the cockerel and cause damage to their prop toes and spurs. Pecking each other through the wire can also cause damage to eyes, beaks, etc so we just try to watch cockerels and nip it in the bud when we start seeing them get too "cocky."

You are so very lucky your chooks never have to deal with the snow! I hate the snow and the chickens do to.

Poor guy! Thanks for the info. I was wondering about temp since it will be super cold overnight & for the next week :/

View attachment 1233014
View attachment 1233013
View attachment 1233012

the rest of my chickens seem to be ok so far.

this story about frostbite makes me change my mind about land I plan to buy. I think I will not buy the one I found as it snows there and in january temperature usually goes down to -5 celsius, sometimes - 11. not sure how many farenheit but 0 celsius is a freezing point. I think I will go about 15 km down the hill where snow is rare and the coldest temperature is about -2 celsius. olives and citrus fruits grow there and 15 km distance is nothing.

Back
Top Bottom