International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas as well! The best thing about the holidays is when they are over! Bah humbug! LOL My kid has had a good time and that's all that matters though. :lol:

more holidays to come, more delays for my building license. if someone told me I would hate holidays I would never ever believe it, lol.

I think your kid needs a brother or sister to keep him busy and you will need more hands for your farm. do you agree?

more holidays to come, more delays for my building license. if someone told me I would hate holidays I would never ever believe it, lol.

I think your kid needs a brother or sister to keep him busy and you will need more hands for your farm. do you agree?

More kids aren't possible.. hubby has been fixed. :D I have enough to keep me busy.. no more babies for me. lol

I haven't been able to do much of anything outside because of the holidays and all the rain so I definitely feel you there!

by swapping the roo ,you end up with 4 different but related progeny . select the best one and pair them together ,forming 2 or more pens ,from a same line .
Example .
Pen1 Roo1 X Black Birchen = P1A cockerels and pullets .select the best one and keep .
Pen 1 Roo 2 X Black Birchen = P1B ,cockerels and pullets . select the best one and keep .

Pen 2 Roo 1 X Blue Birchen = P2A select the best cockerel and pullets and kkep
Pen 2 Roo2 X Blue Birchen = P2B select the best cockerel and pullets .

next year you end up with 4 different combination from the 2 pens.
you can pen together the pullets from P1A plus pullets from P2A with cockerel P1B and P2B
Pen2 = pullets P1B plus pullets P2B with cockerel P1A and P2A.

always work with 2 cockerel in one pen in one season . it is better to have 2 different progeny from a same pen . the hens always stay together as one flock ,only the rooster will be moved in and out the pen .

chooks man
I have been going over this and have questions. So my Blue Birchen hens are brassy. So does this change things? So do I want to cull all cockerels that come from the Blue Birchen hens correct? So do I want to cull all cockerels and breed pullet offspring back to Rooster1 & rooster2? Thank you! Sorry I am probably driving you crazy with all the questions.

I have been going over this and have questions. So my Blue Birchen hens are brassy. So does this change things? So do I want to cull all cockerels that come from the Blue Birchen hens correct? So do I want to cull all cockerels and breed pullet offspring back to Rooster1 & rooster2? Thank you! Sorry I am probably driving you crazy with all the questions.

you are not driving me crazy with your question . if you don t ask you ll never know .

yes all the cockerels from the Blue birchen X Birchen cockerels 1 and 2 are a cull .all the pullets are a keepers .

do this stage first and let see how the F1 will turn out .

take 3 time longer to breed a pure cockerels than pure pullets .talking body color .

chooks man

you are not driving me crazy with your question . if you don t ask you ll never know .

yes all the cockerels from the Blue birchen X Birchen cockerels 1 and 2 are a cull .all the pullets are a keepers .

do this stage first and let see how the F1 will turn out .

take 3 time longer to breed a pure cockerels than pure pullets .talking body color .

chooks man
Just because of space issues all I can do is the first step of the phase. Around 10 chicks from each Birchen group. Plus 10 whites and 10 from the Blue Coppers. I may do a second hatch from the two groups of Birchen this year depending on how many pullets I end up with. Next year phase 2.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom