International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

you are not driving me crazy with your question . if you don t ask you ll never know .

yes all the cockerels from the Blue birchen X Birchen cockerels 1 and 2 are a cull .all the pullets are a keepers .

do this stage first and let see how the F1 will turn out .

take 3 time longer to breed a pure cockerels than pure pullets .talking body color .

chooks man
My Birchen should be clean even the pullets. I guess we will know for sure when we hatch a few. If the cockerels are clean silver. I am hoping they are clean. The Blue Birchen are another story.

Last edited:
Just because of space issues all I can do is the first step of the phase. Around 10 chicks from each Birchen group. Plus 10 whites and 10 from the Blue Coppers. I may do a second hatch from the two groups of Birchen this year depending on how many pullets I end up with. Next year phase 2.

I can see you have a space problem .not enough chicks to work on many traits at ones .

what you need to do is tell me what is your goals .what are trying to achieve ?
are you trying to breed a pure silver ?
or body type ?
or Dark eggs color ?

if you know what you want ,than just a pullets with the traits you are trying to breed ,don t worry about breeding them all .too much work .

if you are breeding for a pure silver ,than pick a pullets with a butter silver hackle.
if you are breeding for a body type ,than pick the pullets with a best body type .
if the dark eggs color you are after than breed the pullet who lay the darkest egg .

make it easy for your self .make it fun not hard work .

chooks man

I can see you have a space problem .not enough chicks to work on many traits at ones .

what you need to do is tell me what is your goals .what are trying to achieve ?
are you trying to breed a pure silver ?
or body type ?
or Dark eggs color ?

if you know what you want ,than just a pullets with the traits you are trying to breed ,don t worry about breeding them all .too much work .

if you are breeding for a pure silver ,than pick a pullets with a butter silver hackle.
if you are breeding for a body type ,than pick the pullets with a best body type .
if the dark eggs color you are after than breed the pullet who lay the darkest egg .

make it easy for your self .make it fun not hard work .

chooks man
I think I want to start with cleaning up the silver.

I think I want to start with cleaning up the silver.

Ah cleaning up the silver ,good thing to do .
work only with your 2 birchen pullets ,they have a complete hackle and pure silver too .they will throw nicely colored cockerels and pullets for sure .
pen them with cockerel#1 and hatch 10 chicks from each pullet if you can ,than swap the cockerel .put cockerel #2 with them and do a same thing .
this way you end up with 30/40 chicks to select from .2 different combination .

when breeding it is better to hatch a large number from a selected pair than few chicks from a lot pairing .

chooks man

Ah cleaning up the silver ,good thing to do .
work only with your 2 birchen pullets ,they have a complete hackle and pure silver too .they will throw nicely colored cockerels and pullets for sure .
pen them with cockerel#1 and hatch 10 chicks from each pullet if you can ,than swap the cockerel .put cockerel #2 with them and do a same thing .
this way you end up with 30/40 chicks to select from .2 different combination .

when breeding it is better to hatch a large number from a selected pair than few chicks from a lot pairing .

chooks man
The Birchen roosters and pullets should already be clean. The Blue Birchen pullets are not clean. So what would be the best way to clean them up? Breed the Blue pullets with the Birchen roosters? Then cull all cockerels? The Birchen cockerels are not closely related to my Blue Birchen pullets. His line was clean but introduced a blue rooster to one pen that was supposed to be clean but was not. So my Blue Birchen pullets are my biggest problem. I think that would be a good place to start. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom