International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Ah cleaning up the silver ,good thing to do .
work only with your 2 birchen pullets ,they have a complete hackle and pure silver too .they will throw nicely colored cockerels and pullets for sure .
pen them with cockerel#1 and hatch 10 chicks from each pullet if you can ,than swap the cockerel .put cockerel #2 with them and do a same thing .
this way you end up with 30/40 chicks to select from .2 different combination .

when breeding it is better to hatch a large number from a selected pair than few chicks from a lot pairing .

chooks man
I read your post again. I think I will work with the Birchen. I could just have the Blue Birchen for layers. So many tough decisions.

I read your post again. I think I will work with the Birchen. I could just have the Blue Birchen for layers. So many tough decisions.

agree with you . first on your pure birchen ,hatch more pure silver first ,than the next year breed the Blue Birchen .

you can not do every thing in one breeding season ,breed them correctly and have fun .
the Silver is one of the complex color ,but ones is pure is stunning .

chooks man

my chooks are well protected ,they have a good friend .his name is Bea
ma.

P1080621.JPG

chooks man

My Marans roo did good. I now have 6 BCM babies and 8 OE. I'll get pictures later. A broody turkey has adopted the 4 OE cockerels that hatched. She can amuse herself with them until spring swaps start. A lot more BCM babies are due in the coming weeks! These girls have already proven themselves to be better layers than their mothers were.

agree with you . first on your pure birchen ,hatch more pure silver first ,than the next year breed the Blue Birchen .

you can not do every thing in one breeding season ,breed them correctly and have fun .
the Silver is one of the complex color ,but ones is pure is stunning .

chooks man
Would you use rooster 2 over the two Birchen pullets?

70 eggs been moved to the hatchers today .count down .

Happy New Year

chooks man

Hope you get a great hatch rate! :D

I still haven't turned my incubator on yet. None of the breeders are laying yet so I'm enjoying my chick-free time before spring. With class and clinical starting back up next week, I'm going to be busy enough without adding chicks to the mix. I am hoping to start hatching by March. At least by then the worst of the cold weather should be over.

Back
Top Bottom