International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Lately my Marans haven't been hatching well. They've been developing just fine but not hatching :/ I think I had 8 DIS this past hatch and only 4 or 5 actually hatch.

marans (and other french breeds) don't hatch well in winter. if you set eggs at the end of february and later you will get more chicks.

a friend of mine has a farm with different breeds. she does not set any french breed eggs (araucanas as well) before march.

b9bdb538-7422-4383-b8d4-4c20408b4f75-jpeg.1655049

@Chickem707

here what I think of your rooster .
body type =great .rectangular shape ,
body mass = great .thick and chunky
body colour = great pattern and well marked .uniform copper could be a little darker .
Head .good .
Comb .very bad .too large .too arched .the back of it is touching the neck .the front of it is too large and twisted . the point on the comb are good .
Wattles = too large . not good .they should be small to medium size .
ears lobe . good colour a shape .could be a little smaller .
Ears tufts = good copper colour
eyes = great .bright orange .
Neck ,great .strong ,well coloured .
Back = nice and long .
Shoulder .great colour . rich red
Tail = good shape and form but too high . the angle is at 90 degree. should be 45 to 60
Chest = deep and well shaped .
Legs = nice size .nice colour and well feathered .

over all he is good .need to be mated to hens/pullets with a nice tail angle and great comb .

I don t see much of the parasitic white on him . his down colour look free from any white ..the tail feathers are free from any white .

what his name .and what his story . any photos of the hens you are going to work with ?

chooks man
My local farm was selling chicks, she told me they were marans, brahmas or wellsummers (all pure I believe), so I brought a few. His names Nico, he’s about 7 months old and i have no hens of his type.

marans (and other french breeds) don't hatch well in winter. if you set eggs at the end of february and later you will get more chicks.

a friend of mine has a farm with different breeds. she does not set any french breed eggs (araucanas as well) before march.

my friend Chickengr it is not a marans or other breed are not fertile in the winter , it is a condition and the feed of the breeders what make a difference .
I give my chooks Vitamin B12 Complex and a worm feed a month before pairing . the result always great .
I had chooks give me no chicks even in the spring with all the treatment I gave them .

the Roosters has to do with the fertility .

I personally like to hatch early winter .soon as they come to lay .first month of the winter in OZ June . pullets hatched in the winter will be ready to breed from in the Autumn . when they parent start to moult .

chooks man

My local farm was selling chicks, she told me they were marans, brahmas or wellsummers (all pure I believe), so I brought a few. His names Nico, he’s about 7 months old and i have no hens of his type.

he is a pure marans 100% .shame you don t have marans hens for him .
you are far away other wise I ll pass you a couple marans pullets.
we ll see if we can get you some fertile marans eggs this breeding season from people who are part of this gorgeous thread .

all the best

chooks man

my marans Hermine' { Columbian } crying Wolves is getting bigger and handsome too , showing some yellow in his hackle and saddle feathers . still have some Autossomal Red on him . but he is gorgeous .love his tail and comb .
he is going a be a small rooster for sure .lucking mass .
P1080705.JPG

chooks man

The fertility started off great the first couple hatches (December and early January) but then dropped off suddenly. They're fertile and developed, just not hatching. Maybe because of the cold weather and when I collect them, they're weaker? I don't know. I've been contemplating selling off my Marans flock. As much as I love the chocolate eggs and as popular as they are, I'm just not falling in love with the birds themselves.

The fertility started off great the first couple hatches (December and early January) but then dropped off suddenly. They're fertile and developed, just not hatching. Maybe because of the cold weather and when I collect them, they're weaker? I don't know. I've been contemplating selling off my Marans flock. As much as I love the chocolate eggs and as popular as they are, I'm just not falling in love with the birds themselves.

what are you describing is not a fertility problem . it is a problem with some a luck of Vitamins .
dead chicks or embryo in the eggs is caused by the luck of some Vitamins that all .

Cod liver oil is a great thing to solve that .

Personally I don t think there is any chooks in the world like Marans .they just need to be bred to they full glory . the French are not doing much a tall about it .what a shame .

All the best for the chose you make .

chooks man

my friend Chickengr it is not a marans or other breed are not fertile in the winter , it is a condition and the feed of the breeders what make a difference .
I give my chooks Vitamin B12 Complex and a worm feed a month before pairing . the result always great .
I had chooks give me no chicks even in the spring with all the treatment I gave them .

the Roosters has to do with the fertility .

I personally like to hatch early winter .soon as they come to lay .first month of the winter in OZ June . pullets hatched in the winter will be ready to breed from in the Autumn . when they parent start to moult .

chooks man

my friend says that they do not mate in winter. she lives in north greece and it snowed there. my boy is mating, we do not have snow here.

Back
Top Bottom