International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Well. Easter batch of marans, 19 hatched. Did wing/tail sexing, and we’ve just decided that either we suck or marans are hard to sex. So, looks like we have 10+ Roos from combs and waddles right now. I’ll try for some pictures later today, some nice weather for now.

It can be tricky to tell. Please post we love to see pictures. On a good note at least you will have lots of roosters to pick the best one or two for breeders. I am trying for a good breeder BC rooster. Only two BC hatched one pullet and one cockerel. I need more BC cockerels. I am hoping for more in the second hatch. Don't we usually get what we are not trying for.

My 13 eggs then dropped to 11 (after 2 were mistakenly pulled by my other half and sold) is now 10. I separated broody a week ago and today found a kicked out shell. 21 days isn’t until Monday so I’m not sure what happened but I trust mama has made the right choices. She has been an amazing broody for us and this is go 3 with her so we will see...

Well. Easter batch of marans, 19 hatched. Did wing/tail sexing, and we’ve just decided that either we suck or marans are hard to sex. So, looks like we have 10+ Roos from combs and waddles right now. I’ll try for some pictures later today, some nice weather for now.

it is easier to sex them at hatch than at 4 weeks old. post pics.

9 now :( mama just carried another shell out of the coop. I questioned whether one of the hens was fertile as it doesn’t look like she’s being mated. Mama must be eating the egg cuz the nest looks clean ... ?

Just dropping in to share a few pictures. I have minimized my brood pens and free ranged what hens I could for summer. I have Duke (cock bird from Harvey) mated to Queen and Blue Bird. I also finally penned up Prince (Queen's son sired by Maximus). He is mated to Malika (his full sister) and Duchess (hen from Harvey). It is a little late in the game for chicks from them but I'll set any I get this summer until the birds stop producing with the molt. I already have quite a few chicks from Duke and my line hens so it has been a decent year so far.

Here is Pince in his pen. He has taken to domestic life as a brood bird fairly well. He isn't perfect but I am proud to have bred him. He is one of the best males I have produced, a close runner to the cockerel @shepherd6567 hatched from my eggs who is Prince's brother.
20190529_173700.jpg

20190529_173808.jpg
Screenshot_20190529-234853_Gallery.jpg

Here is a nice shot of Prince and Malika. Her comb isn't as pretty as her brother's but her copper and tail angle is better.

Screenshot_20190529-235221_Gallery.jpg

Here is a shot of Malika.

Screenshot_20190529-234806_Gallery.jpg

And here is my handsome Duke. He decided to pose today. He normally isnt very cooperative with photos.

Screenshot_20190529-234405_Gallery.jpg

We all love pics right? First year with Marans am enjoying them thoroughly, big almost clumsy and calm. Do most Marans walk flat footed? All of mine, compared to my Legbars, are what I would call flat footed(fault?). Anyways here are a few pics a just snapped while enjoying the shade with my new friends. Let me know what you think of this guy. He is the biggest, most colored guy in the bunch. He is only 12 weeks old but hoping for some good copper coloring on him. 9C7B286C-4C7F-4D3F-A17E-0B1FC35D2155.jpeg 18D01032-C19F-4921-8DEF-1A389BD9087A.jpeg 3B5E203F-A304-4E15-9D92-8471FB530BDF.jpeg

23BEB7A6-E904-49D9-B15E-049E30A1CE48.jpeg
I don’t think this hatch is going to happen. I’m not sure those eggs were fertile. And they look a mess now. I should pull the plug right? Should have hatched by yesterday giving a few extra days.

Edit: eggs are sloshing so he’s not doing his job with The Marans. He’s got the olive eggers fertile but maybe his clumsy 2 left feet don’t impress the the other girls. @kfelton0002 i need a new roo!!

Last edited:
Hello All! I’m guessing y’all have given up on ever hearing from me again. Hard to believe it’s been almost two years since I was last on BYC. I really missed sharing in your stories and experiences with your Marans (and other breeds). I dropped off somewhere around Post 550 so it will take some time to catch up on this thread. I had to put my breeding program on hold for the past couple of years to help my elderly parents.

Unfortunately, my Marans flock is a mess. I lost Otis and Briscoe (BCMs) in the Fall of 2018 and I have not hatched any chicks for the past two breeding seasons. I still have my original foundation hens (BCM and BBS) from Fitz Farms and four of my best BLCM Pullets that I breed in 2017. I’m pleased with the quality of the eggs I’m getting from my hens but until I find replacement roosters my breeding program will remain on hold. On the bright side I recently acquired 14 BCM Chicks from GFF so I’m hopeful I will get at least one Cockerel that I can work with. I’ll post pics of the chicks separately. I’m so glad I took good notes when this thread started so that I can refer back to them while I rebuild my program.

Take Care,
Keith

Back
Top Bottom