International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Interesting! how does one get Olive eggs? I'm recalling brown egg+blue egg layer, but which needs to be hen, which needs to be rooster? Or is it a green egg layer that is needed (not blue)?

@Acre4Me,

To create an Olive Egger breed a BCM Cock that you know was hatched from a dark egg (#6-7, he’ll have a good dose of the dark egg genes) and breed him to a blue egg layer (Araucana, Ameraucana or Legbars). The F1 OE Pullets from this mating will lay olive eggs. If you want darker colored olive eggs then mate the F1 OE Pullets to their Sire to produce F2 OE Pullets. If you want Spearmint Colored Eggs then mate a F1 OE Cock to a blue egg layer to get a dull spearmint color. Hope this helps.

Take Care,
Keith

Interesting! how does one get Olive eggs? I'm recalling brown egg+blue egg layer, but which needs to be hen, which needs to be rooster? Or is it a green egg layer that is needed (not blue)?

as olive eggers are not a breed you can breed any dark brown/russet with any blue/green layer. the eggs that you get will have all shades of olive and green, from light to dark.

I have a few marans hens that are not good for breeding marans. I plan to put them with my british araucana boy. people started to buy coloured eggs for easter. no chemicals.

This BCM thinks she is a Falcon. She is the first to greet me at the Brooder door and jumps up on my hand. I like her hatch down color.

E49CD392-7D99-47E5-8F6E-C29BF47811A7.jpeg

@marchick,

She’s still young so she may turn on me yet.

Keith
I only had one hen attack me. She would attack me then the rooster would come to her rescue. I was the one being attacked no one came to my rescue. Not even my husband. He thought I was joking. One day our friends wanted to see my birds. We both went in the pen and she attacked him. I told you so! He said boy she is very aggressive. Yep! At least the rooster stayed back because of so many new people. We no longer have her.

I only had one hen attack me. She would attack me then the rooster would come to her rescue. I was the one being attacked no one came to my rescue. Not even my husband. He thought I was joking. One day our friends wanted to see my birds. We both went in the pen and she attacked him. I told you so! He said boy she is very aggressive. Yep! At least the rooster stayed back because of so many new people. We no longer have her.

@marchick - That’s very unusual for a hen unless she is protecting her brood. I will keep an agressive Cock Bird only if he is head and shoulders above anything else that I have but as soon as I get a replacement cockerel from him that is reapectful and of better quality then its gumbo time.

Take Care,
Keoth

@marchick - That’s very unusual for a hen unless she is protecting her brood. I will keep an agressive Cock Bird only if he is head and shoulders above anything else that I have but as soon as I get a replacement cockerel from him that is reapectful and of better quality then its gumbo time.

Take Care,
Keoth
She wasn't even going broody. I thought that was so weird.

E9F77483-DDEB-4737-86F5-D1822F19E38D.jpeg
A2AD4C29-8418-45EB-AC37-E52466F10D1A.jpeg
7FC46FF6-50AA-45BC-BACA-BD69B5655288.jpeg
34D52124-38A9-49AE-9893-1CEF320D98D4.jpeg
Got some BCM today to sneak under my Broodies. My one with the infertile eggs still hasn’t broken and it’s been 6 weeks. Then I have a 1yr old BCM that’s been sitting for over a month. No idea what this guys parent stock looks like. 1 of the chicks has a copper spot on its head. I remember someone on here saying something about that...

Back
Top Bottom