International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hello everyone! My first time posting to the Marans thead. I hope I can pop in for some expert advice?
Just finishing day 21 of my very first hatch in a borrowed Little Giant with 42 eggs, about half maran and then the other half olive egger (maran mixes) and a few Lav. orpington. Also two CLB - which both turned out to be cockerels. All from local backyard breeders.

I am wondering two things:

1.BEST WAYS TO SEX my chicks
Posture? Wing sexing? Leg thickness? Foot size? When you put them on their back - how they hold their legs? Comb development? Any tricks? Even anecdotal?

2. I bought "pure bred Marans" from a couple of back yard breeders. So if they are pure bred Marans, does that mean they have to be French Black Copper Marans? or can they be splash Marans? cuckoo Marans? what is the difference please? Some of my chicks have brown faces, some no cream on belly, all have feathered legs, but some are pale grey, some black and cream like your classic photo. here is one of my silver "Marans" what kind do you think it will be?

there is no way to know the sex of a day old marans .they not bred for that trait .
all marans are marans ,just some in US they have a pure French line imported from France .they are Black copper . so they call them french Black copper .
French marans original and only true marans have feathered feet .
English marans .made in UK from imported French stock and selected differently , mostly solid Silver cuckoo marans ,they have clean legs no feathers

the Blue chicks in the photo in blue copper marans or Blue Birchen marans .

chooks man

I’ve got some photos of the eggs I hatched. I was going for splash to get a splash pullet or two, and didn’t hatch a single splash! I got all blue. They also included some of their original darkest egg line of BCM. I kept the pullets I hatched from that line. I’m ready to start learning a lot about marans, so appreciate this thread.

View attachment 2118999

View attachment 2119000
Wow!! Nice eggs!! If you really want to learn a lot read this thread and happy learning! 🙂

Would males feather out faster than females? I have 2 day old Marans.
Thanks!

Also- when would you start to see comb development on males?

female are the one to feathers up first if they where bred for that trait . most of Back yard breeders do not breed for feather sexing . only the commercial peoples .

Comb ill start to grow @ around 4 weeks of age .you will be able to tell who is pullet and who is cockerel .

chooks man

Hello everyone, I am so glad to see the thread is still going strong. I have missed you all. I lost Antonio this week to a fox. I managed to run the fox off but Antonio could not recover from his injuries. He was such a great rooster. Big, kind, gentle. I will miss him.

20171028_182945.jpg

Hello everyone, I am so glad to see the thread is still going strong. I have missed you all. I lost Antonio this week to a fox. I managed to run the fox off but Antonio could not recover from his injuries. He was such a great rooster. Big, kind, gentle. I will miss him.

View attachment 2124170
Hello, :hugsWe have missed you! So sorry to hear about Antonio! I just lost my second BC hen. It has not been a good year. I hope you visit more often! I hope you and family are well. Blessings to you my friend!

View attachment 2124170
Great Rooster Great Thread Glad to hear from you Red Banks TOM

Hello, :hugsWe have missed you! So sorry to hear about Antonio! I just lost my second BC hen. It has not been a good year. I hope you visit more often! I hope you and family are well. Blessings to you my friend!
Thanks Marchick. I lose a hen from time to time but I was heartsick over Antonio. All are locked up for the time being. We are overrun with foxes. The coyote population must be down, they usually keep them in check. Both Gray and Red foxes.

Back
Top Bottom