International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Finally going to have my first Marans egg. I caught her on the nest. Now I’m just waiting :caf
10B8F719-8BF7-43FB-B24D-01D422527F9F.jpeg
By the way that’s the goats hay she is in. Darn chicken couldn’t even use the nest box.

I'm looking into getting some BCM's, and I'd like some pointers. :)
Welcome! Do not buy from a hatchery. Get pictures of breeding stock and actual birds or chicks you would be getting. Also pictures of eggs. Post the pictures on here to get opinions on if they would be a good start. Chooksman is our pro and has wisdom beyond his years. Better to spend a little more money with a knowledgeable breeder and get a good start.

I'm looking into getting some BCM's, and I'd like some pointers. :)

If you are located in the USA then I would suggest looking at the Breeder Directories on The Marans Club and Marans Chicken Club USA websites to find a breeder near you. Things you need to know / understand before buying Marans

1. First obtain a copy of the Standard of Perfection (SOP) from the American Poultry Association (APA) website for the Marans Variety you prefer. There are currently four (4) varieties of Approved Marans: Black, White, Black Copper and Wheaten. Then you need to familiarize yourself with the SOP so you have an understanding of what a Marans should look like both structurally and physically.
2. When searching for a breeder choose a breeder that is a member of one or both Marans Clubs. This is generally indicative of a breeder that is truly dedicated to breeding to the Standard of Perfection (SOP).
3. A reputable breeder should be willing to: 1) share pics of their breeding stock and eggs, 2) disclose how long they have been breeding Marans (preferably 5 years plus), and 3) what flaws they see in there specific Marans line (i.e., side sprigs, squirrel tails, parasitic white, etc.).
4. Novice chicken enthusiasts in the USA are willing to pay almost any amount of money to get “the chicken that lays the chocolate eggs” and there are an equal number of backyard breeders that are looking to cash in on this Marans Craze. These backyard breeders breed for quantity over quality to the detriment of the Marans Breed. From my own experience you will get chickens that look nothing like a Marans nor lays an egg any darker than your standard brown egg layer. You can recognize this type of backyard breeder by certain buzzwords or phrases they use in marketing their product (eggs, chicks, etc.): “layers of beautiful chocolate eggs”, “James Bond’s favorite egg”, “my stock is from superior bloodlines” or “show quality chicks”. These breeders also like to name drop the origin of their breeding stock (e.g., Bev Davis, Wade Jean, Little Peddler, Greenfire Farms,etc.) whereas a reputable breeder will tell you the foundation blood for their breeding stock of their birds only when asked. Also, beware of any breeder that says their breeding flock is a mix of the more well known Marans breeders/exhibitors in the USA - its just a sales tactic. If any Marans Breeder shows you a picture of their breeding stock that has yellow or green legs/feet, featherless leg/feet, black/brown eyes, any comb other than a single blade comb or otherwise doesn’t closely resemble the SOP then run the other way as fast as you can.

We can help you get a good start. Where are you located maybe one of us can give you some breeder recommendations.

Take Care,
Keith

Last edited:
If you are located in the USA then I would suggest looking at the Breeder Directories on The Marans Club and Marans Chicken Club USA websites to find a breeder near you. Things you need to know / understand before buying Marans

1. First obtain a copy of the Standard of Perfection (SOP) from the American Poultry Association (APA) website for the Marans Variety you prefer. There are currently four (4) varieties of Approved Marans: Black, White, Black Copper and Wheaten. Then you need to familiarize yourself with the SOP so you have an understanding of what a Marans should look like both structurally and physically.
2. When searching for a breeder choose a breeder that is a member of one or both Marans Clubs. This is generally indicative of a breeder that is truly dedicated to breeding to the Standard of Perfection (SOP).
3. A reputable breeder should be willing to: 1) share pics of their breeding stock and eggs, 2) disclose how long they have been breeding Marans (preferably 5 years plus), and 3) what flaws they see in there specific Marans line (i.e., side sprigs, squirrel tails, parasitic white, etc.).
4. Novice chicken enthusiasts in the USA are willing to pay almost any amount of money to get “the chicken that lays the chocolate eggs” and there are an equal number of backyard breeders that are looking to cash in on this Marans Craze. These backyard breeders breed for quantity over quality to the detriment of the Marans Breed. From my own experience you will get chickens that look nothing like a Marans nor lays an egg any darker than your standard brown egg layer. You can recognize this type of backyard breeder by certain buzzwords or phrases they use in marketing their product (eggs, chicks, etc.): “layers of beautiful chocolate eggs”, “James Bond’s favorite egg”, “my stock is from superior bloodlines” or “show quality chicks”. These breeders also like to name drop the origin of their breeding stock (e.g., Bev Davis, Wade Jean, Little Peddler, Greenfire Farms,etc.) whereas a reputable breeder will tell you the foundation blood for their breeding stock of their birds only when asked. Also, beware of any breeder that says their breeding flock is a mix of the more well known Marans breeders/exhibitors in the USA - its just a sales tactic. If any Marans Breeder shows you a picture of their breeding stock that has yellow or green legs/feet, featherless leg/feet, black/brown eyes, any comb other than a single blade comb or otherwise doesn’t closely resemble the SOP then run the other way as fast as you can.

We can help you get a good start. Where are you located maybe one of us cangive you some breeder recommendations.

Take Care,
Keith
While I'm not the OP, I'm grateful for this information. I have so much to learn. I'm almost embarrassed to say I didn't know anything about either of the Marans club. Thank you!

While I'm not the OP, I'm grateful for this information. I have so much to learn. I'm almost embarrassed to say I didn't know anything about either of the Marans club. Thank you!

Bajan - Nothing to be embarrassed about! I’ve had Marans for 6 years and I’m still learning. That’s why I like this thread it’s all about honesty and breeding toward the betterment of the breed. There are no dumb questions on this thread so anyone should feel free to ask any and all questions that come to mind.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom