International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Poor carol...while taking this pic i noticed her eye color. I checked and yes. Their dark brown.

Even though she looks tall and thin in this pic, she is short and stocky when relaxed. She is nice type. She will have to go in the layer pen though. She is the only one with dark eyes.
20200817_125545.jpg

@Punkybrewster please explain what you mean when you say they are line #1. I've noticed a lot of people referring to their chickens from pen# or line#. I have no idea what that means except to assume they have lots and lots of different coops? It's a bit confusing to me. I'm sure it's some sort of management system but I don't understand how it all works.

I bought and hatched chicks from 2 separate breeders. I want to keep both lines ( groups) separated in different coops. When they start laying, i may breed some from each line together to better the marans breed and start my own line (which would be line #3) at the same time keeping my original line #1 and #2 pure.

Does that make any sense?

This is my plan but but of course anything can change in the future. This is how i am starting them out for now.

Example...

Line #1 is pure Bev Davis.
Line #2 is Elk Valley Farm

For now, i would like to keep these 2 lines separate, select roosters and hens from each line that will compliment each other and fix any faults. The offspring would create my own line (#3)

At the same time, i am keeping both original lines pure as i received them.

Example...

Line #1 is pure Bev Davis.
Line #2 is Elk Valley Farm

For now, i would like to keep these 2 lines separate, select roosters and hens from each line that will compliment each other and fix any faults. The offspring would create my own line (#3)

At the same time, i am keeping both original lines pure as i received them.
Okay, this does make sense. So, for me, I kinda have the same goal but I haven't known how to manage it. I have three groups (lines). The first is a single pullet that I hatched July 8th. There were 18 eggs but only one hatched. That pullet came from Omega Hills. The second group (line) are 2 pullets and 3 cockerels from Greenfire Farm. I'm guessing on gender but at 5 weeks I'm really seeing a difference between what I think are boys vs girls. The third group are 14 from my last hatch that I got off of an independent breeder from eBay, Holly Williams. I have the single pullet with the second group and the hatchlings are in a smaller brooder until this weekend. Then they will move to the big brooder. As adults, I plan to keep the hens together but identify them by their group (or line) with toe punches and leg bands. As least that's the plan I'm currently favoring. I have a bachelor pad for the boys and will grow them out until it's time to decide who to keep and who to cull. Does that make sense? Am I moving in the right direction?

Sounds like you are. I wing band and leg band. I Leg band each line a different color so its easier to tell from a distance.

When they all get around 4 months, i will separate cocks from pullets.

I also have a lone hatcher. Shes in with line#2 with different color leg band.
I wondered about wing banding. I very nearly decided I was going to go that route and then I read that it has long term detrimental effects to the wing muscles. So I tabled the idea until I can learn more and make a better decision. Right now, I'm using zip strips to identify each group and in the case of the youngest ones, I'm using them to identify each chick also.

I havnt had a problem with wing bands. I do it at a 4-5 weeks old so they arent so small. It helps to have someone hold them with the wing stretched.
Its just the skin web. No muscle involved. They dont even cry out.

Do you notice a difference in your different lines? Look-wise?
My 2 lines look totally different. Line 2 at hatch were long necked and thin but i see them getting thicker now.
Line 1, my favorite, are short and round. Still are.

Im thankful for this thread because when breeding time rolls around im at a loss as to which ones to pair up.

Back
Top Bottom