International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Agree with you, I like her eye color and copper color on her hackle. Does she always carry her tail that high or is she just on alert? Did she inherit the parasitic white from Queen or Duke? If from Queen then I may consider breeding her back to Duke to reinforce type and eye color plus he is proven to lower tails. I think her dark copper color would offset Duke’s halo influence. Just some thoughts...

No she was just alert. When she is calm her tail is good. High tails are a pet peeve so I will keep watching her to make sure. Duke is a carrier for split wing so I am avoiding back crossing to him. He doesn't have split wing but he does carry the recessive gene unfortunately as does Duchess, his sister from the same breeder. I only used him for one year to help lower tails.

She likely inherited the parasitic white from Queen but the line Duke came from carries parasitic white as well. Duke has dark underfluff and no white on him at all though.

I appreciate your thoughts. If I use her the offspring will be toe punched and wing banded so I can cull hard through them for white as they mature. I will mull it over. I have plenty of time to make up my mind. Thanks! :)

No she was just alert. When she is calm her tail is good. High tails are a pet peeve so I will keep watching her to make sure. Duke is a carrier for split wing so I am avoiding back crossing to him. He doesn't have split wing but he does carry the recessive gene unfortunately as does Duchess, his sister from the same breeder. I only used him for one year to help lower tails.

She likely inherited the parasitic white from Queen but the line Duke came from carries parasitic white as well. Duke has dark underfluff and no white on him at all though.

I appreciate your thoughts. If I use her the offspring will be toe punched and wing banded so I can cull hard through them for white as they mature. I will mull it over. I have plenty of time to make up my mind. Thanks! :)

Ah, I forgot Duke carries split wing that’s no good. Good her tail is correct. All you need is 1 or 2 correct chooks from her to move forward.

Clover is 9 weeks old tomorrow. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing. I just wish more of the eggs had hatched. She's also getting friendlier to me now that her surrogate mother has decided her 2 chicks are old enough that she doesn't have to try and beat me up for just looking at them.
DSCN2192.JPG

DSCN2191.JPG

DSCN2189.JPG

DSCN2182.JPG

DSCN2162.JPG

DSCN2155.JPG

DSCN2153.JPG

If I am trying to purchase day olds- is there a way to tell pullet from cockerel? Im sure Chooks man has a way...;) He wants $14 a chick, but with my luck I will pick 5 chicken dinners for $70. I thought I recall something about shape of head. ?

The only way I know to sex day old chicks is to vent sex but that should only be done by someone that knows what they are doing. I’m sure there is a YouTube Video on Vent Sexing Chickens if you want to know how it is done. It’s a delicate process.

As for Marans, most of us can tell the sex by 2 to 3 weeks old but that doesn’t really help you. I would ask this gentleman if he has or will have any started trios or quads available for purchase. I would assume he raises a fair number of chicks each year for himself as replacements. He will keep the best for himself to improve his line but he may be willing to sell his best culls. Worth a shot!

Clover is 9 weeks old tomorrow. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing. I just wish more of the eggs had hatched. She's also getting friendlier to me now that her surrogate mother has decided her 2 chicks are old enough that she doesn't have to try and beat me up for just looking at them.
View attachment 2360400
View attachment 2360402
View attachment 2360403
View attachment 2360406
View attachment 2360409
View attachment 2360411
View attachment 2360412
She’s looking good so far!

The only way I know to sex day old chicks is to vent sex but that should only be done by someone that knows what they are doing. I’m sure there is a YouTube Video on Vent Sexing Chickens if you want to know how it is done. It’s a delicate process.

As for Marans, most of us can tell the sex by 2 to 3 weeks old but that doesn’t really help you. I would ask this gentleman if he has or will have any started trios or quads available for purchase. I would assume he raises a fair number of chicks each year for himself as replacements. He will keep the best for himself to improve his line but he may be willing to sell his best culls. Worth a shot!
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will ask him. I am looking forward to new little babies!

Awesome- that is good news! Thanks for the reply. You mean they will end up looking like this? How long before any of that colour comes in?
View attachment 2357326View attachment 2357331
They hatched out of these eggs... (vertical rows 3,4,5 from left) don't know which ones. Sorry. What colour level is that? I recall thinking what the heck? these are Maran eggs?? lol. But I had already driven an hour. It never occurred to me to ask for photos. Lesson learned.

yes they will look like the photos you posted .golden cuckoo .
good eggs .not really dark but very good .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom