International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

What are side sprigs? One of my cuckoo Roosters has like a "wart" or a little bump that comes out of his comb from the side. Is that what it is? Does that make him a cull?
He has an almost identical brother, so I only want to keep one. One has too many foot feathers, more copper, the other spare foot feathers, less copper, side sprig. I guess I am wanting the lesser of two evils.

I think I must. have 2 Marans laying because Ive had an egg each day this week and 2 yesterday. Some are slightly darker, the others more speckled. Have to set up cameras since my attempts at catching them in the act have failed.

20201001_181743.jpg
I just received these eggs yesterday. They are birchen marans.... i ordered these because they come from a similar elevation about 150 miles from Me. Because they were shipped I will be excited to hatch a pair. I will post pics as we go

What are side sprigs? One of my cuckoo Roosters has like a "wart" or a little bump that comes out of his comb from the side. Is that what it is? Does that make him a cull?
He has an almost identical brother, so I only want to keep one. One has too many foot feathers, more copper, the other spare foot feathers, less copper, side sprig. I guess I am wanting the lesser of two evils.

I think I must. have 2 Marans laying because Ive had an egg each day this week and 2 yesterday. Some are slightly darker, the others more speckled. Have to set up cameras since my attempts at catching them in the act have failed.

photos please .I can not comment on thing I don t see .
side sprig is a comb point growing side way .

chooks man

View attachment 2357216I just received these eggs yesterday. They are birchen marans.... i ordered these because they come from a similar elevation about 150 miles from Me. Because they were shipped I will be excited to hatch a pair. I will post pics as we go

good luck to you .
look to me these eggs are laid by 4 different hens .
hopefully they hatch you good looking marans because the eggs are not really dark .late in season ,normal .

chooks man

View attachment 2357216I just received these eggs yesterday. They are birchen marans.... i ordered these because they come from a similar elevation about 150 miles from Me. Because they were shipped I will be excited to hatch a pair. I will post pics as we go

top row right first 2 plus bottom row first right one = from a same hen .
top row first 2 left plus the one on left bottom row = from a same hen
top row third egg on left plus second and fourth egg from the left on bottom row - same hen
the other 3 are from a 4th hen .
all this is speculation .looking at the eggs size/shape/color .

can you ask the person you got them from how many hens where used to get these eggs ?

chooks man

photos please .I can not comment on thing I don t see .
side sprig is a comb point growing side way .

chooks man
Here are my cuckoo brothers. I tell them apart by amount of foot feathers. The few photos below where you cannot see the feet- that is the guy with less foot feathers, He is slightly less bulky as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8526.JPG
    IMG_8526.JPG
    881.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8525.jpg
    IMG_8525.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8524.jpg
    IMG_8524.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8521.jpg
    IMG_8521.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8519.JPG
    IMG_8519.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8518.jpg
    IMG_8518.jpg
    701 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8517.jpg
    IMG_8517.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8512.JPG
    IMG_8512.JPG
    503.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8511.jpg
    IMG_8511.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8510.jpg
    IMG_8510.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8509.jpg
    IMG_8509.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 13
cockerel #1
1601656891202.png

cockerel #2
1601656953999.png

@Minky

those are 2 impressive cuckoo marans cockerels .they are silver and golden mix not a pure silver . very very impressive body type and head .short on they feet ,great .
cockerel #1 has a better comb .
cockerel #2 has a better tail .
every thing else is similar .

I will breed them to BC hens to make golden cuckoo marans .
what color eggs they hatched from .

I really like them both .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom