International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I think I recall @Chooks man saying that ideally one doesn't breed a pullet until her first birthday-or until her eggs are over 50 g?? My 3 marans pullets have laid about 30 eggs between them, and they are averaging about 55 g.
Would you say it would be ok to put them in with my rooster in a couple weeks? I was hoping to set some eggs in early November... test out my incubator before hatching season starts...

I think I recall @Chooks man saying that ideally one doesn't breed a pullet until her first birthday-or until her eggs are over 50 g?? My 3 marans pullets have laid about 30 eggs between them, and they are averaging about 55 g.
Would you say it would be ok to put them in with my rooster in a couple weeks? I was hoping to set some eggs in early November... test out my incubator before hatching season starts...

I do not incubate eggs that weigh less than 65 g and prefer eggs in the 70-75 g range. I find my hatch rate decreases when eggs are under 65 g.

I usually operate my incubator empty for 2-3 days prior to incubation to make sure that temperature and humidity will hold at the desired levels as well as making sure the automatic egg turner is working properly.

Eggsellent! I did not know that. Thanks for that info.
I figured they would be born small but catch up by 6 months or so..... interesting that that is not the case.
One of my marans pullets laid a 74 gram egg today! 24 weeks old. OUCH! Not particularly dark, but BIG.

Chooks man has said in the past that a smaller rooster can be used if he has other great qualities but make sure to breed to a large hen.

He has stated that the hens size is most important when breeding. Especally if you have to use a smaller rooster.

Most genetics for size come from the hen if i remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom