International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Chooks man has said in the past that a smaller rooster can be used if he has other great qualities but make sure to breed to a large hen.

He has stated that the hens size is most important when breeding. Especally if you have to use a smaller rooster.

Most genetics for size come from the hen if i remember correctly.

that is correct .
chooks man

sorry guys I m not posting much .have too much work trying to finish building the second farm before the summer .

all the cull chooks left the farm this passing Friday . only kept the future breeders .
101 hens/pullets
50 cockerels/roosters .

chooks man

All is good my friend! We figured you were hard at work on the farm. Hope all is going well for you.

Take Care,
Keith

P1130369.JPG
P1130376.JPG
P1130375.JPG
P1130373.JPG

21 gorgeous pullets ,youngest group .group#6 .they are 10 and half months old .
11 BLC
7 SPL
3BC

chooks man

my older keeper hens and old pullets .all grouped into one large group of 80 strong . all inside for few weeks to get them used to they new house .and roosting places .
they did put some weight on since they been locked in .
P1130398.JPG
P1130380.JPG
P1130387.JPG
P1130393.JPG
P1130394.JPG

those photos are taking before I made my final selection . 53 pullets and hens are going .only 78 pullets /hens left in this group .

here the list of the varieties I kept =
BLC =22 all pullets
SPL = 12 all pullets
BC= 8 pullets 5 + 3 hens
Solid Black = 7 , pullets 4 ,hens 3
Red Pyle = 3 , unicorn and here 2 daughters
Black and Blue tail buff = 10 . pullets 8 ,hens 2
Wheaten = 1 hens { do have 5 trios in Western Australia state . waiting for the borders to open ,so I can flight them }
Silver cuckoo = 6 pullets
Red Salmon - 1 hen
Recessive white = 4 hens
Dominant white = 1 hen
BC X BTB = 6 pullets

no marans
CLB 6 hens
Marans X CLB = 14 pullets

plus 55 cockerels /roosters .haven t made my final selection . 15 of them need to go . only need 40 .

sorry for not posting/ commenting lately .trying to finish my work .
chooks man

sorry guys I m not posting much .have too much work trying to finish building the second farm before the summer .

all the cull chooks left the farm this passing Friday . only kept the future breeders .
101 hens/pullets
50 cockerels/roosters .

chooks man
That sounds like a lot of work. That will be a lot of room for your birds. Very nice! I am so glad you are back my friend. You where well missed by everyone. It already got down to 17 degrees Fahrenheit here. Highs supposed to only be like 38 degrees Fahrenheit today. Surprisingly I have 2 pullets laying and one older hen. I have someone taking 4 or 5 older BLC cockerels. I think he is coming today.

Back
Top Bottom