International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Not too sure on this ones age, but I think s/he’s a black Maran

With that color pattern your cockerel would be a Black Copper Marans (BCM) or a Wheaten Marans. We need to see a full side shot so that we can see his wing. If the Wing Bay is black then he is a BCM and if it is Brown (or Rust colored) then he is a Wheaten. Black Marans are solid black. Do you have any Marans Pullets?

With that color pattern your cockerel would be a Black Copper Marans (BCM) or a Wheaten Marans. We need to see a full side shot so that we can see his wing. If the Wing Bay is black then he is a BCM and if it is Brown (or Rust colored) then he is a Wheaten. Black Marans are solid black. Do you have any Marans Pullets?
This is one of four birds I have all different and I think I drew the short straw will all boys

Attachments

• C90FEB56-FF43-450F-B161-6D725B0488D9.jpeg
    C90FEB56-FF43-450F-B161-6D725B0488D9.jpeg
    687.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4CE5689E-7E69-4C5F-A9C3-EB253934E98E.jpeg
    4CE5689E-7E69-4C5F-A9C3-EB253934E98E.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 12
The black cockerel is a Black Copper Marans and the white cockerel is most likely a Splash Copper Marans or a Splash Marans. The white plumage hides the true color of a Splash chook.
The guy I bought them off said the white one was a light Sussex, but then if he was to be believes they are 8 weeks old now, and they’re pretty big for 8weeks.

The guy I bought them off said the white one was a light Sussex, but then if he was to be believes they are 8 weeks old now, and they’re pretty big for 8weeks.

there is no way that the white cockerel is a light sussex. he is splash and and has feathered legs. and yes, they are big for 8 weeks.

Here where I live I like for the young Fowl to at least live through one Winter before being used for a breeder.

pullets has to pass they first year or like you said first winter to be bred from . I did post a article about some diseases related to breeding from young pullets .
most of backyard chooks world wide are bred from pullets .a reason all the breed we see are becoming smaller and lighter in weight .place a lot broodiness too .
good breeders will only breed from they older hens and proven breeders .

still waiting to see photos of your old BCM hens one day when they finish molting .
chooks man

That sounds like a lot of work. That will be a lot of room for your birds. Very nice! I am so glad you are back my friend. You where well missed by everyone. It already got down to 17 degrees Fahrenheit here. Highs supposed to only be like 38 degrees Fahrenheit today. Surprisingly I have 2 pullets laying and one older hen. I have someone taking 4 or 5 older BLC cockerels. I think he is coming today.

having a day off today .we are having very heavy rains ,no good to be driving in country side .
work never end with e .always finding some thing to do with my time .lot thing got done so far .

happy your pullets start laying .and happy for a person who is picking up the BLC cockerels .
chooks man

Can I ask if its pronounced mah- RANS, or MARE-ans ?? I have always said the former, but the locals here say the latter....

I believe the correct French pronunciation is Mah-RAHN. The “s” is silent but always included in the spelling. Chooksman speaks French so he will kindly correct me if I’m wrong.

In the U.S., I believe it is pronounced differently depending on which part of the country folks are from. I pronounce it MARE-ans but then again I’m from Texas so we say things a little different. More specifically, I grew up in Deep East Texas near the Louisiana border so we use a mish mash of Southern and Cajun which makes things really interesting sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom