International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Well, reading the title of this thread lead me to assume that you are aiming to breed to the SOP.

To my knowledge, doing so does not exclude breeding for egg colour too. ;)

View attachment 2479260

View attachment 2479263

View attachment 2479264

You’re right, the purpose of this group is to help each other breed towards the SOP which includes egg color. Our memebers have varying levels of practical experience / knowledge and our respective Marans flocks are in different stages of refinement. With that said, we work with the Marans we have and strive to breed our best birds forward which means we will at times breed a bird that has flaws but, as I’m sure you know, breeding is all about balancing your birds to breed out flaws and accentuate the positives. By the way, very nice egg color!

This rooster looks way heavy in the front end! If you draw a line from his feet straight up it looks like 3/4 of the bird is up front! More pics?TOM

we have no photos of him standing properly so we don t know if too much bird in front or not . looking to the hens type they look long and correct .

chooks man

What's the deal with the spotted eggs? Are they even on the color scale? Are they more desirable than a #9 on the color scale? Just asking if we should breed toward spotted egg? TOM

spotted egg in another type of marans eggs . very rare .number 9 in better if you talking about the chart . the French left the spotted eggs out of the chart I don t know why .
in the French show dark spotted eggs always win against plain dark .
deferent genes ,deferent traits to select for .

chooks man

spotted egg in another type of marans eggs . very rare .number 9 in better if you talking about the chart . the French left the spotted eggs out of the chart I don t know why .
in the French show dark spotted eggs always win against plain dark .
deferent genes ,deferent traits to select for .

chooks man

this is neat info. I have always thought the smooth colored was sought after in Marans.

1610042827129.png

@Punkybrewster
I really like those BCM hens .well bred . long .wide ,chunky , good hackle marking. good straight up combs { I can t see the detail of the points } but still good shape combs . lovely short and well feathered legs . lovely flat back and stunning pointed small tails at the right angle . great plumage , free from any parasitic white .
if you manage to hatch and raise 5 or 6 hens like them from the eggs you are going to pick up ,than you are the winner in my book .
don t let any body tell you these BCM flock have a majore faults .that is not true .these hens are a real deal .
9 stunning BCM hens .Bravo to the breeders . fantastic job .

the hack down of the chicks is sublime too .perfect .
chooks man

PS = they will breed well with your line #2 . no need any more lines .
Tell the breeder I said Bravo and I appreciate they hard work ,they did great job . Respect from me .

Back
Top Bottom