International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I am bad at genetics. how would she breed blue sexlinks with a splash male?
The splash I have are covering the black silver with two blue genes. Crossing the legbar with a splash roo will result in 100% blues that will all carry one blue gene and express the steely blue color. Males of this crossing would have a single barring gene and would be blue barred. Females would not be barred because the legbar hen does not pass barring to her daughters, only her sons.

They are 4 weeks old now. Fast feathering. By 3.5 weeks they were without heat with 40 degree nights.

I think they are all cockerels but there is one who may be a pullet.
Only time will tell. Let me know if you can tell better than I.

I will break this into 2 posts since it is picture heavy.

20210228_111234.jpg
20210228_111218.jpg
20210228_111201.jpg
20210228_111149.jpg
20210228_111112.jpg
20210228_111032.jpg
20210228_110451.jpg
20210228_110440.jpg
20210228_110324.jpg
20210228_110252.jpg

They are 4 weeks old now. Fast feathering. By 3.5 weeks they were without heat with 40 degree nights.

I think they are all cockerels but there is one who may be a pullet.
Only time will tell. Let me know if you can tell better than I.

I will break this into 2 posts since it is picture heavy.

View attachment 2548910View attachment 2548915
My guess is pullet in these 2 pics. I can’t tell if this is same bird or two different birds.

They are cuties, but I agree they all look male right now. Their earlobes are all black-do you know when they should turn copper? My little guy is 5 weeks tomorrow and he's out in the barn too. Seems to be dealing with the temperature just fine. They are tough.
My cockerels ears coppered up as the rest of their color came in. For mine, their coloring all happened evenly together.

I see more than one pullets in this group .any way ,love every thing about them so far ,body type long /chunky/wide . good head and poster .good feet ,early feathering type { you will breed sex linked BCM in the future from them { good plus } .plus they gorgeous eyes .
there is some stunning cockerels in there to.
well happy for you .
theoretically the best cockerel from this group will be mated to Georgia . your line #1 foundation . your line not some one else line .
2nd best will be mated to 2 pullet line #2. foundation line #2.
3 rd cockerel will be mated to pullets from line #1 . foundation line #3.
last cockerel from line #2 will be mated to pullets from this line . that will make it foundation line #4 .
this is just a theory if cockerels from this line are worthy . it is a reason I want more cockerels than pullets ,that will give you nice start .
chooks man

I see more than one pullets in this group .any way ,love every thing about them so far ,body type long /chunky/wide . good head and poster .good feet ,early feathering type { you will breed sex linked BCM in the future from them { good plus } .plus they gorgeous eyes .
there is some stunning cockerels in there to.
well happy for you .
theoretically the best cockerel from this group will be mated to Georgia . your line #1 foundation . your line not some one else line .
2nd best will be mated to 2 pullet line #2. foundation line #2.
3 rd cockerel will be mated to pullets from line #1 . foundation line #3.
last cockerel from line #2 will be mated to pullets from this line . that will make it foundation line #4 .
this is just a theory if cockerels from this line are worthy . it is a reason I want more cockerels than pullets ,that will give you nice start .
chooks man
Yes.
I am excited to see how they grow.
They are looking to be as I expected. Their sires were stunning except for all that white underfluff. That was the only real fault I could find with my novice eye.

I do notice at least one with vulture hocks growing in. It seems to go along with over feathered feet.

I was just a little disappointed with hatching so many cockerels but now I am glad. I will have a few to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom