International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hello all! Was told to post pictures here, I would love to get your opinions on these two. Are they actually Marans? Just poor quality? Purchased from TSC 8 weeks ago.View attachment 3269899View attachment 3269901
too young to know for sure what they are at this point. Marans tend to be slow maturing, but are supposed to be feather legged, although due to their light feathering can show up with no leg feathering sometimes. They are supposed to have very bright orange eyes. They are not old enough for us to see their adult shapes yet, but their tails are rather large. They do have some size, but again, they need to get bigger for us to know for sure. The biggest factor for Marans is their eggs. They won't lay eggs for several months yet, but the egg color is a huge indicator for whether or not these birds are Marans. On the egg color chart, they should be a 4 or darker. If they are lighter than a 4, they would be rejected as Marans.

too young to know for sure what they are at this point. Marans tend to be slow maturing, but are supposed to be feather legged, although due to their light feathering can show up with no leg feathering sometimes. They are supposed to have very bright orange eyes. They are not old enough for us to see their adult shapes yet, but their tails are rather large. They do have some size, but again, they need to get bigger for us to know for sure. The biggest factor for Marans is their eggs. They won't lay eggs for several months yet, but the egg color is a huge indicator for whether or not these birds are Marans. On the egg color chart, they should be a 4 or darker. If they are lighter than a 4, they would be rejected as Marans.
Ok, thank you for the response! They do have foot feathering, it’s been coming more and more each day, but not showing the best in the pictures. The lighter colored one definitely has better foot feathering though, but I think the darker one has nicer feathers overall. I have Welsummers, with one very very dark layer, so I’ll see how these guys compare when they start laying.

sorry just too much work .too many thing need to be done , come bck from the frm couples hours ago. spent the weekend there .was lovely to see the animal . the chooks are very good .well looked fter by Troy . he did fabulous job .
lost few old one no many ,lost my solid black roosters ll 3 of them black Bamba nd his 2 sons . still have the 5 girls any way. lost Gazelle BC hen but I have her daughter ,she is stunning and hve 5 of her sons too .very big type really giants for sure ,only problem they have prsitic white on they tail .
I have a lot chooks over 100 hens { 5 marans hens{ and over 70 roosters ( 40 marans ) lot to select from
I ll post some photos from my phone . don t hve photos in this tap top .giving to me by my friend ,very old lap top .
chooks mn

Some photos . All last year cockerels . Trying to select few for breeding . This guy is stunning best in every trait except he has double point in the middle of his comb M type. He is Khabib best son . Well balanced short and chunky . Best tail . Lot of my splash have long tails. I tagged him number 94 names him Khabib 2. By the way I lost Khabib. Chooks man
F53511D0-8F4C-4B8E-B0F4-093095D164C4.jpeg
4D52FBE6-D021-4F69-8803-16155E677770.jpeg

D7C9A899-BC7D-446C-BEAC-5C4057026610.jpeg

splash cockerel number 3 . This guy is huge different style from the first 2 . He is a son of Shanrick2 blue silver/ golden cuckoo over blue copper hens he is massive with a larger comb . His fault is long tail and little higher. I ll be using this guys over the recessive white hens they are large too with a longer back and smaller tail . I can not take good photos of thise cockerels with a phone . They keep running around. I 2 more like him his brothers in different pen. Chooks man

1E51C8C3-AB3A-466F-9C22-BBC27F0AF286.jpeg

Here 2 sons of CTB over Gazelle. I have 5 cockerels and one pullet. They are massive and well Coloured . They problem his they tails . Open with a parasitic white plus high angle too. The cockerel on the left is the best . Better tail form not open and less white. Here more photos of him. I like him a lot . Named him Spring Buck because he is a son of Gazelle. Chooks man
3E1CC9A8-A59D-4AB1-B0D1-D0A25D68C488.jpeg
A2FE4A69-97CD-489D-B78C-689AFF3B9EBE.jpeg
0EDEC76B-66FF-47F2-B633-AD141E8AFF31.jpeg

bad move ,why do you cull the chooks if they are fine , different blood line ,any way you have a lot of gorgeous one .
when we are trying to breed a new chooks blood line ,we need few different genes come from different blood line .
the combs are too large in the chooks you have now or just the one i have seen so far .
good breeding practice ,never cull a chooks if it is healthy and have some traits you need ,even if they come out of bad blood line ,chooks have a lot mutation .
how many blood line you have now ? and what are they caracteristique ?
chooks man

He developed a large growth on his neck so I eventually culled him.

I started with 3 lines.
I still have hens from lines #2 and #3.
No Marans from line #1 but I have their progeny.

All were bred to a line #3 rooster.
Seamus.
He had a lot of parasitic white but a low, short tail, beautiful copper, light colored legs, light leg feathering, and he was big and chunky.

I did what I thought you would advise me.
Breed from him then get rid of him because I was breeding in parasitic white but I needed the other qualities he had.

I did not want to breed his progeny back to him because the white would be reinforced and even harder to breed out..

This has produced much nicer marans.
Did I do the right thing?

Back
Top Bottom