International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Do you mean parasitic white? Recessive white makes a bird entirely white, but does nothing if split. Parasitic white is one we don’t know much about, but occurs in the tail base and wings, often increasing with age.

They really are fantastic for hatchery birds, you’d think they were from an independent breeder. I think you’ve mentioned the hatchery before, they deserve a well done, hopefully they keep it up and it wasn’t just good luck, so more people can have access to good marans.

Once I evaluate all then hens and the pullets when older, I will try and think of the best pairs. I don’t have all the experience others have at this though, but I’m happy to give suggestions anyway.
Yes, parasitic.. it gets confusing still at times. Thanks for the explanation again.
Meyers hatchery in Ohio, been 4 yrs now so I don't know the quality anymore, but I do have a (I believe 2.40 credit there still) with King being my accidental roo.

Your insight and suggestions is always very much appreciated.

Yes, parasitic.. it gets confusing still at times. Thanks for the explanation again.
Meyers hatchery in Ohio, been 4 yrs now so I don't know the quality anymore, but I do have a (I believe 2.40 credit there still) with King being my accidental roo.

Your insight and suggestions is always very much appreciated.
Is Kong King’s son or hatch mate? Or are they not related?

Sorry, you’ve probably explained before.

Is Kong King’s son or hatch mate? Or are they not related?

Sorry, you’ve probably explained before.
Kong, King, Joannie, Jett and Betty came from Meyers as day olds. Ordered 1 male, 4 females but...I'm sure their not related.
Here's a couple pics of Prince (Kings son) before I re-homed him last year.
20230315_102851.jpg
IMG_20230810_200504.jpg

Kong, King, Joannie, Jett and Betty came from Meyers as day olds. Ordered 1 male, 4 females but...I'm sure their not related.
Here's a couple pics of Prince (Kings son) before I re-homed him last year.
View attachment 3843251View attachment 3843250
His comb is really good. Maybe on the larger size but I really like the way it is serrated. His legs are really good too. Are all this years chicks sired by Kong?

I’m going to have a look through you pullet and cockerel photos to see anyone who stands out.

His comb is really good. Maybe on the larger size but I really like the way it is serrated. His legs are really good too. Are all this years chicks sired by Kong?

I’m going to have a look through you pullet and cockerel photos to see anyone who stands out.
Yes, the 7 week olds are all sired by Kong. Angel, Raven and Copper sired by King. So I'm unclear if any chicks hatching from Kong x Angel could still throw Kings issues. I haven't done any Kong x Raven or Copper yet.
I've got 9 more of Kong x Angels eggs under Joannie because I only got the 1- 7 week old pullet, and I've got 9 more of Kong x Betty (all black hen) under Momma because I only got 3 - 7 wk pullets. (Need them boys). Hatch date is next weekend...👍

Sorry if I'm overloading recap. Trying to be thorough.

Lost one olive egger and one DCM egg today that were cracked.

I’m just drawing out my breeding strategy for the GCMs. I’m aiming to produce a Er/Er, s+s+, B/B rooster by the end of next year, ideally keeping a maximum of two marans roosters at once (one in the marans pen, and I can put one in the Layers pen if I sell Freddy or Spot).

I ideally want to keep track of the pedigree of every marans I hatch. Do I, while only working with a limited setup, only breed Chanel to the DCM rooster. Then cross Loki to the BCM hens. Then cross Chanel’s F1 hens to the best of Loki’s single barred F1 Rooster, producing a true GCM rooster. Only then breed this rooster to my other Copper Marans to produce GCM pullets.

Or do I breed all the BCMs to the DCM cock to produce F1s? To do this I’d have to hatch them separately so I know their parentage, when I could be using the other opportunities for hatching the Loki x DCMs.

I know it’s a difficult question but if anyone thinks I’ve missed a benefit to using all the BCM hens then please point it out.

Thanks

maybe incubate them until lockdown and then give them to Raven. That way, you have the incubation consistency of the incubator but the hen does the hard work of looking after them.

Just a thought.
I'm stressing because the first hatch was a complete fail 0/22 because actual temp was way low compared to reading, didn't calibrate it. Got it calibrated but last hatch was only 8/22. So not sure what happened there. Ugh...

Ravens a first time broody and not yet a year old but I think my chances are better with her.

What to do? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom