Interpreting Rooster Calls

SmashleyReece

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
I have a Silkie rooster that is just over a year old. He is quite friendly to humans, good to the hens, and keeps them safe at the same time. He crows in the mornings and periodically throughout the day and he crows each time I leave the coop area. Every so often he makes this loud squawking noise. Like four short squawks followed by a long squawk and then repeated for quite sometime. To me it sounds like an alarm but when I look around outside, I cannot see any obvious threat. I've looked for some info online with no luck. Any of you know of a guide to a rooster's crowing online or recognize this sound? I lost my first hen to a predator last weekend and so I am anxious and paranoid at every noise.

Wondering if maybe he is too? It must have upset him to miss one of his hens. Would love to read anything u find on the calls Im new too an getting roos for my coops.

it's called a cackle. My hens and roosters both make that noise. A hen usually cackles after laying an egg and with my chickens when one chicken cackles the others follow. I don't know why my roosters cackle but I don't believe it's a warning call because when a rooster does a warning call is just one tone that I don't even know how to describe

Chickens have many calls and clucks, each has a meaning. From the "Danger!" call, to "here's a nice bug", roosters and hens will "talk: to each other. One of these days I want to record the calls and clucks and note their meanings. For now, I spend enough time with them to have an idea of what each means. Each breed and flock is slightly different too.

I Love those sounds!
clap.gif

Most of the time, my rooster calls his girls over because he found some good food. He's always doing that. They all come running in excitement from all over to see what he's found. Then he picks it up or just stands there and lets the girls eat. He's quite the gentleman that way. They all seem to know what it means.

Sometimes he starts cackling in excitement when the girls are doing their egg songs. I'm not sure why he joins in!

Another neat one is at night, when he's trying to call all the girls inside for the night. That one is more of a normal crow. He wants them to come home.

I'm sure there's more, but I find it very fascinating, nonetheless.

Aren't chickens great!

I love my chickens even though im a beginner! Im a teacher so I am home during the day now for the summer. It is so fun to just spend time in my garden and watch/listen to them.

Back
Top Bottom