Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
Thank you for the accurate instructions! I just did my midwifery part, since the baby, that was getting wicker and wicker after three days of work. She is now alive and healthy! She is a very big 5 minutes old baby!!

The only thing that I did differently was to peel delicately with my fingers, not tweezers. I felt I could have more control over what I was doing.

Thanks again!

C.

Ok, so at 23 days I was pretty sure my remaining eggs were all toast but during eggtopsy I found one alive! Chick is upside down and just couldn't seem to move to create any kind of pip. I tried to create a zip, hit a vein and stopped three hours ago. I went back to check again and baby is in the exact same position, lower energy but still alive. I managed to find her beak so she is breathing easier now but I saw a little blood (not nearly as bad as the first time) so I stopped and she is resting in the incubator. Little one is going to need out very soon but I don't know what to do since the membrane keeps tearing and I don't want her to bleed out. Advise???

Ok, so at 23 days I was pretty sure my remaining eggs were all toast but during eggtopsy I found one alive! Chick is upside down and just couldn't seem to move to create any kind of pip. I tried to create a zip, hit a vein and stopped three hours ago. I went back to check again and baby is in the exact same position, lower energy but still alive. I managed to find her beak so she is breathing easier now but I saw a little blood (not nearly as bad as the first time) so I stopped and she is resting in the incubator. Little one is going to need out very soon but I don't know what to do since the membrane keeps tearing and I don't want her to bleed out. Advise???

The chick needs to stay in as long as there is an active vascular system from chick to egg.
A day 23 chick, unable to hatch or even pip on it's own, has low chances to begin with. That doesn't mean it can't or won't survive. It doesn't mean there's no use trying. But, if through all your help it does not succeed, know that the probability was low to begin with and you gave it a chance.

Thank you. I tried to leave her in as long as possible but I am probably going to have to humainly let her go. I posted again separately. Nut shell bleeding stopped but baby burst its yoke sack the next evening at which point I finished helping hatch so she wouldn't drown. I doubt there is hope at this point but I posted a pic just in case someone has a Hail Mary that could help.

i'm not sure what to do...at 11, I came home from breakfast and a hair appointment to see a pipped chick, I left and went to get dinner and go to open house for school, came back and the beak is gone from the pipped hole. Should I intervene? no sounds or movement.

i'm not sure what to do...at 11, I came home from breakfast and a hair appointment to see a pipped chick, I left and went to get dinner and go to open house for school, came back and the beak is gone from the pipped hole. Should I intervene? no sounds or movement.

I would open the bator and check it for life signs...

it is alive, it's now cheeping a lot more, though it still hasn't started zipping and after posting on the hatching egg forum, was told to start the intervening process. Chick is alive, but I don't think the blood vessels are done being absorbed nor the yolk, so now it's a waiting game. I'm checking in on it very often.

I would not intervene unless it has been over 24hrs from external pip... general rule of thumb is to give 24hrs from internal pip to external pip, and 24hrs from external pip to zip... zipping shouldn't take more than an hour, but every other stage usually has a lot of wait time between the next...

Last edited:
I would not intervene unless it has been over 24hrs from external pip... general rule of thumb is to give 24hrs from internal pip to external pip, and 24hrs from external pip to zip... zipping shouldn't take more than an hour, but every other stage usually has a lot of wait time between the next...

x2!

Thank you for posting this. Without it I probably would not have tried to hatch our newest bantam. She was stuck in her egg like you said. To big to move around on her own but after some assistance in hatching she is bow living a happy, healthy life!

Attachments

• 15030634955092048627371.jpg
    15030634955092048627371.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom