Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
With a recent hatch I had a chick take about 16 hours to progress from external pip (through the shell) to hatching. No need to worry yet
smile.png

Thank you so much for your advise on this subject!
My eggs are currently on day 24 and with this info, I helped one out last night. It's now thriving!
Helped another this morning that is currently drying out and resting under mum.
I think I'll only get one more out of this group which will be 5 out of 12 :(
The last 2 I've noticed we're pipping in the wrong spot and were rather large. I really feel like I would've lost them if I'd left them!
I'll keep you updated on #5 that has its beak out but isn't making progress.

Hi all..I have a chick that pipped on the wrong end late on day 20 here...I accidentally put the egg the wrong side up, as it was a super dark marans egg and very roundish...I think I discovered my mistake and corrected it halfway through. Anyhow, I helped make the hole a little bigger so the baby could breathe...its very lively, chirping loud and I see its beak moving...but it has not broken off anymore shell or zipped several hours later. How long do I wait before helping more in this situation?

Thank you for any help! (This is my first hatch)

I had a few pip from the other end of the egg in my last hatch, most of them were able to get out them selves, but one i ended up helping. If you help do it in steps, zip the shell moisten the membrane and put it back, in a couple hours of there isn't any thing, then carefully remove the top part of the membrane. And put it back, its better for them to kick out then be removed. Good luck.

Sir Obsessed, thought I'd write you and ask, (as i need an answer asap.) How long after you hear an internal peep, should you expect the little one to start breaking out? You see I work out of town for the next 4 days, and I heard peeping an hr. ago! If I had the $ I would buy another incubator and take him with me, but I don't.

It's day 23 and i've had 4 chicks fully hatch. I went to turn of the bator and noticed an egg that had pipped. I started to pull off some shell and the the chick was peeping but all this blood started pouring out - like a lot :(

I have put him back in the bator will he be okay? Is the blood normally in the shell or is that his blood?

This is my first hatch and my heart is broken
hit.gif

Any advice for helping him hatch would be great!

if it had just pipped, it would have been better to leave it be, the chick should make its own way out, the blood is from the chick, just keep your fingers crossed it will be ok

if it had just pipped, it would have been better to leave it be, the chick should make its own way out, the blood is from the chick, just keep your fingers crossed it will be ok
I'm really kicking myself now. I thought that because the others hatched days ago that it was the last chance to save it. He's still cheeping so I will check on him in an hour or so and determine whether i should leave him for another hour or check if I can help him again. Fingers crossed!!

I'm really kicking myself now. I thought that because the others hatched days ago that it was the last chance to save it. He's still cheeping so I will check on him in an hour or so and determine whether i should leave him for another hour or check if I can help him again. Fingers crossed!!
That is a good sign. Let it go for the night. Tomorrow, if it has not come out, then slowly start to take small pieces fro m the large end of the shell. Watch humidity, there will be a good chance that the membrane in the shell has adhered to the chick. A small spray bottle helps soften and loosen this up.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom