Intestinal Lining?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
4 yo Plymouth Rock going through a particularly nasty molt. Fed all flock with oyster on the side. No other issues other than looking like she's been put through the spin cycle.

Wormed last month. Treated whole flock with Corid (severe outbreak protocol) after another pullet had definite bright red blood in her stool.

I've seen shed lining before, but this is more than I've seen. It looks worse in person than in this pic - lol!
20221113_102853.jpg

That's more than normal, all right. I wouldn't ignore it, but I would wait and see if this repeats. It would then signal someone has some inflammation in their intestines from worms or coccidia or a bacterial infection.

I would take steps to identify the chicken, and to scrutinize her behavior, which can give use clues. Molt can affect overall health. My flock is deeply into molt and some are having watery poop and lethargic behavior. It's all borderline at present, but I stand ready to jump in to intervene if necessary.

That's more than normal, all right. I wouldn't ignore it, but I would wait and see if this repeats. It would then signal someone has some inflammation in their intestines from worms or coccidia or a bacterial infection.

I would take steps to identify the chicken, and to scrutinize her behavior, which can give use clues. Molt can affect overall health. My flock is deeply into molt and some are having watery poop and lethargic behavior. It's all borderline at present, but I stand ready to jump in to intervene if necessary.
I know whose this is. Should I dose her with Corid? Worm her? Give antibiotics?

Geez, I hate molting.

About the only redeeming thing about molt is seeing the flock strutting around wearing new outfits.

Have you been having more cold dry weather than warm and wet weather? If it hasn't been moistly tropical lately, there's little danger of coccidiosis. How long ago did you worm? That is what I would do right away if it's been more than five or six months. Then watch the poop to see if it improves or you see more of the lining show up.

If the red lining keeps appearing, I would treat the hen with an antibiotic, preferably sulfa.

About the only redeeming thing about molt is seeing the flock strutting around wearing new outfits.

Have you been having more cold dry weather than warm and wet weather? If it hasn't been moistly tropical lately, there's little danger of coccidiosis. How long ago did you worm? That is what I would do right away if it's been more than five or six months. Then watch the poop to see if it improves or you see more of the lining show up.

If the red lining keeps appearing, I would treat the hen with an antibiotic, preferably sulfa.
I wormed everyone at the beginning of October.

I have sulfa on hand. I'll keep an eye on her. There is the possibility of it being 1 other hen (they sleep next to each other on that roost). I will narrow it down tonight.

I can try a different wormer. I used Safeguard. I can get Valbazen or use Ivermectin.

Back
Top Bottom