1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Intestines hanging out of hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bokbok, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bokbok

Bokbok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    In just the last ten minutes my hen went in to, I assume, lay an egg, and suddenly her intestine is laying on the straw beside her, maybe a foot and a half of length! Help, should I separate her? Should I push it back in? The others seem to be concerned and don't peck her intestine, but still, it's just laying there, what happened?!?

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    not sure how to help that one but do seperate her from the others carefully is all I know

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I'm definately not an expert, but could she be egg bound?? I don't know what you can do for her, if anything. I'm sorry I can't help you... Someone will be along to help you soon.....

4. Bokbok

Feb 27, 2007
    After posting, I ran to separate her, but it was too late, the other chickens had torn her intestine off! Oh I feel so bad. I pulled her out to put her in a separate container, and when I looked at her bottom, I can see an open intestine line that is filled with larger than egg sized diameter lump off poo. She must have eaten something that bound her up and couldn't push her poo out. Poor thing. I don't see how she's going to live. Do I kill her to be humane? How do I do that?

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Are you sure it is an intestine and not an oviduct? Either way, you need to put the hen out of her misery quickly I think.

A sharp axe to cut off her head is the quickest way to do it.

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, dear. I'm so sorry.
    I can't imagine she can live, poor thing.
    The quickest way to dispatch a chicken is to dilocate its neck. You can also do the old-fashioned axe method if you don't plan to eat her. Some folks use a gun, but I don't know anything about guns myself.
    If you can't bear to do it yourself (I can't), you can take her to a vet. Mine charges about $10-$15 bucks.

7. Bokbok

Feb 27, 2007
    I had my son do it with his machette. That was rough.

8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Very sorry. [​IMG]

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    You have a brave son. I'm sorry this happened to you, but let there be some relief in knowing that her pain is over.
    :aww

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    im so aorry for ur loss :aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by